Solving Cauchy Residue Theorem for p(t) in Complex Analysis Homework

In summary, according to the reference, the answer to the homework problem is p=pi^2/ (1+cosh(pi*t/2))
fled143

Homework Statement

p(t) = integral[-inf,+inf] ( x/sinh(x) exp (i t x) dx)

Homework Equations

singularity @ x = n*pi*i where n = +-1, +-2, +-3,...

Near n*pi*i one can write sinh(x) ~ (x - n*pi*i)

The Attempt at a Solution

I apply the cauchy residue theorem. For a positive value of t the contour of integrat
can be closed with a semicircle in a positive complex x plane.

Hence,

p = (2*pi*i) * SUM ( n*pi*i) (-1)^n exp(-n*pi*t) ?

p = pi^2/ ( 1 + cosh( pi*t) )
?

According to the reference i have, the answer should have been

p = pi / (4*cosh^2(pi*t/2) )

I would really appreciate your help in this matter. More power.

Physics news on Phys.org
The second answer is a lot closer to what I am getting so far, but with a pi^2. How did you change that sum into your answer?

I get the series as from n=1 to infinity. I factor out pi*i from the summation.
I have SUM (-1)^n*n exp(- pi*t*n) = -1/2 ( cosh( pi*t) +1 )^-1. I use wolframalpha to solve this.

Who am I to argue with WA? Are you really allowed to use that to solve your homework problems without figuring out how to sum the series on your own? I did it the old fashioned way by summing n(-r)^n by integrating a geometric series. That doesn't mean the reference is wrong. Both answers are actually the same. Can you show that using a double angle formula for cosh?

I am not able to show that they are just the same. I did tried to compare my final answer to that of the reference by substituting a value for t (i.e t = 1),

pi^2/ ( 1 + cosh( pi) ) =? pi / (4*cosh^2(pi*/2) )

The difference of the two expression is 0.659 which suggest that they are not just equal.

Actually this is part of the thesis that my friend in physics is working on and i am just trying to help. Thank you very much for the reply.

You have some typos in the expressions you are comparing. There should be a pi^2 in the numerator of the cosh^2 part and you missed a 1/2 in the cosh part. The identity you need to compare them is (cosh(x)+1)/2=cosh(x/2)^2 (analogous to a half angle formula in trig).

You can avoid having to sum an infinite series by considering a different contour.

Actually this integeral has been solved by researchers Khandekar and Wiegel. I've attached a page of their paper and kindly take a look at equation (22) and (23) in their work. I really have a hard time arriving at their answer. Thank you for the help. I just badly need it.

Attachments

• Distribution of the area enclosed by a plane random walk_khandekar_1988(2).pdf.pdf
    97.7 KB · Views: 228
Ok, I think you are right for having a hard time arriving at their answer. As near as I can tell pi^2/(1+cosh(pi*t)) is correct, unless I've made another mistake. pi^2/(2*cosh(pi*t/2)^2) is also correct which is close to what I got but I wasn't really paying enough attention to factors of 2. The answer in the paper of pi/(4*cosh(pi*t/2)^2) is simply wrong. I thought the missing stuff was simply typos in your presentation. But it actually appears to be a typo in the paper. I'd also like to hear about Count Iblis' contour?

Last edited:
Thank you very much! Could they be wrong with their answer? I have this doubt because a lot of their succeeding paper presentation use same value of their answer above. Attached is another paper that displays the same.

Thank you for your time guys.

Thanks for extending your help.

Attachments

• Document1.pdf
    921.3 KB · Views: 230
You can also consider the integral of exp(i t x)/sinh(x) from minus to plus infinity where you take the principal part by omitting the interval from minus to plus epsilon and take the limit of epsilon to zero. The derivative w.r.t. t will then yield the desired integral. The contour can be taken to be a rectangle of width pi in the imaginary direction, which you deform so as to avoid the poles. Let's do this so that there no poles inside the contour. We avoid the origin using a semi-circle of radius epsilon in the upper half plane. We avoid the point z = i pi using a semi-circle of radius epsilon that lies below the line z = x + i pi.

Let's denote the pricipal value of the integral of exp(i t x)/sinh(x) by I. Then the contour integral in the limit that the rectangle becomes infinitely long and epsilon goes to zero becomes:

I - pi i + I exp(-pi t) + pi i exp(-pi t)

This has to be zero, since there are no poles inside the contour. Therefore:

I = pi i [1-exp(-pi t)]/[1+exp(-pi t)] = pi i tanh(pi t/2)

The derivative w.r.t. t is i times the desired integral, so this is:

1/2 pi^2/cosh^2(pi t/2)

fled143 said:
Thank you very much! Could they be wrong with their answer? I have this doubt because a lot of their succeeding paper presentation use same value of their answer above. Attached is another paper that displays the same.Thank you for your time guys.

Thanks for extending your help.

Tough to say if the final answer is wrong. Were they sloppy when they wrote down the expression for P(A,N) preceding the integral? As for the integral if you ask Wolfram Alpha to integrate u/sinh(u) it will tell you it's pi^2/2. Not the pi/4 you get if you put zero into their expression.

Thank you for the help Dick and Count Iblis. I did verify the result by substituting values for t and let Wolfram evaluate the integral and I have concluded that 1/2 pi^2/cosh^2(pi t/2) is indeed the correct answer.

More power.

Related to Solving Cauchy Residue Theorem for p(t) in Complex Analysis Homework

What is the Cauchy Residue Theorem?

The Cauchy Residue Theorem is a mathematical tool used in complex analysis to evaluate integrals of functions with singularities. It states that if a function is analytic (has derivatives) in a closed contour except for a finite number of isolated singularities, then the integral of that function around the contour can be evaluated by summing the residues (calculated using complex analysis) of the singularities enclosed by the contour.

How is the Cauchy Residue Theorem used in complex analysis?

The Cauchy Residue Theorem is a powerful tool in complex analysis as it allows for the evaluation of complex integrals that may be difficult or impossible to evaluate using traditional methods. It is particularly useful in evaluating integrals along closed contours, and in finding the values of certain infinite series.

What are singularities in complex analysis?

Singularities in complex analysis refer to points or values in a function where it is not defined or behaves unexpectedly. These can include poles, branch points, and essential singularities. In the context of the Cauchy Residue Theorem, the singularities are isolated and finite, meaning they can be identified and calculated using complex analysis techniques.

What is the difference between a pole and an essential singularity?

A pole is a type of singularity where the function approaches infinity as the input approaches a particular value. An essential singularity, on the other hand, is a type of singularity where the function has no limit as the input approaches a particular value. In terms of the Cauchy Residue Theorem, the residues of poles can be calculated by taking the limit of the function at the pole, while the residues of essential singularities require more complex techniques to calculate.

What are some applications of the Cauchy Residue Theorem?

The Cauchy Residue Theorem has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in the calculation of complex integrals in contour integration, in solving differential equations, and in finding the values of certain infinite series. It also has applications in signal processing, control systems, and fluid mechanics.