Solving Calculus Doubts: My Attempt

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving an inequality involving a negative value for ##k##. Two options are suggested to overcome this issue, either by considering three separate cases or by multiplying by the absolute value of ##k##. The second option is quicker, but requires careful steps to ensure validity.
Portuga
Member warned that the homework template is required
The problem, and my attempt to solve it is here:
https://meocloud.pt/link/bf620660-aaf0-48ad-abfe-ac49f7ea0843/calculus_doubt.pdf/

Physics news on Phys.org
It's almost right. The only problem is that ##k## may be negative. So multiplying the inequality by ##k## will change direction of the inequality, which will prevent reaching the conclusion.

Two ways to get around this are:

1. Do three separate cases, for k positive, negative and zero respectively; or
2. Multiply by ##|k|## instead.

2 is quicker, but you'll need to insert a few careful steps around where you multiply by ##|k|## to ensure that each one is valid.

Thank you very much!

Related to Solving Calculus Doubts: My Attempt

1. How do I solve a calculus problem?

To solve a calculus problem, you first need to identify what type of problem it is (e.g. finding limits, derivatives, integrals). Then, use the appropriate formulas and techniques to solve the problem step by step. It is important to carefully follow the rules and properties of calculus to arrive at the correct solution.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving calculus problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving calculus problems include: not carefully reading the problem, not using the correct formulas or techniques, making calculation errors, and not checking your work for accuracy. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

3. How can I improve my understanding of calculus concepts?

To improve your understanding of calculus concepts, it is important to regularly practice solving problems and to seek help when needed. You can also watch online videos or attend tutoring sessions to reinforce your understanding. Additionally, try to make connections between different concepts and their applications to real-world problems.

4. What resources are available for solving calculus doubts?

There are many resources available for solving calculus doubts, including online tutorials, textbooks, study guides, and practice problems. You can also seek help from your teacher or classmates, or join a study group to work through problems together.

5. How can I apply calculus to real-life situations?

Calculus has many real-life applications, such as in physics, economics, engineering, and statistics. You can practice applying calculus concepts to real-life situations by analyzing real-world data, solving optimization problems, and understanding the mathematical principles behind various phenomena. It is also helpful to explore different fields and see how calculus is used in each one.