Solving Buoyancy Problem: Find Depth of Cylindrical Rod

• Thread starter Shinaab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a cylindrical rod floating in water with varying densities. The question is about finding the depth of the bottom of the rod. The formula initially provided is incorrect and the correct approach involves determining the mass of the rod and using Archimedes' principle to find the volume of water displaced. The final result is that the rod would sink due to its mean density being greater than that of water.
Shinaab
I'm struggling a bit on a homework problem where a cylindrical rod of radius r is floating in equilibrium in water. The bottom 4 cm of the rod has a density of 2000 kg/m^3 while the other 6 cm of the rod has a density of 900 kg/m^3. The question asks what the depth of the bottom of the rod is.

Would I be correct in using the following equation to solve for the amount V of water displaced by the rod?

(900 kg/m^3)(9.8 m/s^2)(0.06 m) - (2000 kg/m^3)(9.8 m/s^2)(0.04 m) + (1000 kg/m^3)(V) = 0

Am I on the right path here? If not, can someone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula is wrong.
To find the volume of water displaced, you must determine the mass of the rod. The mass of a rod is the product of the density times the volume. The volume is the cross section times the length. In your case you have "two" rods attached at an extremity.
Once you have the mass of the "double" rod, you can compute the volume of water. You do not need to know the value of g, because the weight is proportional to the mass of the water as well for the rod one.

Do I have this right?

Thanks for your response. It got me thinking a bit. Here's what I did.

Let's say ma = the mass of part "a" of the rod where the length is 6 cm and the density is 900 kg/m^3 and mb = the mass of part "b" of the rod where the length is 4 cm and the density is 2000 kg/m^3.

ma = (900 kg/m^3)(0.06(pi)(r^2) m^3) = 54(pi)(r^2) kg
mb = (2000 kg/m^3)(0.04(pi)(r^2) m^3) = 80(pi)(r^2 kg

Let wr = the weight of the entire rod.

wr = [54(pi)(r^2)(g) kg] + [80(pi)(r^2)(g)] kg = 134(pi)(r^2)(g) kg

Let ww = the weight of the water displaced by the rod, pw = the density of water, and Vs = the volume of the rod that is submerged.

ww = (pw)(Vs)(g)

Using Archimedes' principle, setting wr = ww:

134(pi)(r^2)(g) kg = (pw)(Vs)(g)

Solving for Vs to find the volume of the rod submerged:

Vs = 134(pi)(r^2)/pw

The volume of water displaced is (pi)(r^2), r being the radius of the rod, times the height h of the rod that is submerged. So:

(pi)(r^2)(h) = 134(pi)(r^2)/pw

Solving for h results in 13.4 cm. This would mean that the rod would sink and not float.

I'm pretty sure I messed up somewhere along the way, probably in translating the problem into mathematics, mostly because it came to me too easily. So, what am I missing here (if anything)?

Last edited:
Yes, you are right. I find the same result. In fact, the mean density of the rod is

[tex]{{6*900+4*2000}\over 6 + 4}=1340[/tex]
That is, more than the water: it sinks.
Bravo!

Thank you very much for the help!

Related to Solving Buoyancy Problem: Find Depth of Cylindrical Rod

1. What is buoyancy and why is it important?

Buoyancy is the upward force that a fluid (such as water) exerts on an object that is partially or fully submerged in it. It is important because it determines whether an object will float or sink in a fluid, and is essential in various applications such as shipbuilding and designing floating structures.

2. How do you calculate buoyancy?

Buoyancy can be calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This can be represented by the formula Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the formula for finding the depth of a cylindrical rod submerged in a fluid?

The formula for finding the depth of a cylindrical rod submerged in a fluid is h = (Fb - W)/(ρgA), where h is the depth, Fb is the buoyant force, W is the weight of the rod, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and A is the cross-sectional area of the rod.

4. Can the depth of a cylindrical rod submerged in a fluid be negative?

No, the depth of a cylindrical rod submerged in a fluid cannot be negative because it is a physical measurement and cannot have a negative value. If the calculated depth is negative, it means that the rod is not submerged in the fluid.

5. What are the units for the variables used in the formula for finding the depth of a cylindrical rod submerged in a fluid?

The units for the variables in the formula are: h (depth) in meters (m), Fb (buoyant force) and W (weight) in Newtons (N), ρ (density) in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m³), g (acceleration due to gravity) in meters per second squared (m/s²), and A (cross-sectional area) in square meters (m²).