Solving Box Pulling Problem: Accelerating Comics to Stuart's Store

In summary, Sheldon moves a box of comic books with a force of 90 N at an angle of 30 degrees to Stuart's comic book store. The box has a mass of 20 kg and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.5 on the sidewalk. Using the equation F=ma, the acceleration of the box is 0.12 m/s^2. A force vector diagram is necessary to solve this problem.
Evan Johnson

Homework Statement

Sheldon moves a box of comic books to stuarts comic book store by attaching a rope to the box and pulling with a force of 90 N at an angle of 30. The box of comic books has a mass of 20 kg and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the bottom of the box and the sidewalk is .5. Find the acceleration of the box

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

i know the answer is A=.12 m/s^2 but i have no idea how to get to that answer, please explain!

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the force vectors. You have not even started to solve such a problem until you have drawn the force vectors.

i did i drew a fbd

and i think its Facos(30) for x-axis and Fasin(30) for y axis

I say again, draw the force vector diagram (and show it here).

I actually just figured it out! :) but thanks for your help anyways!

Related to Solving Box Pulling Problem: Accelerating Comics to Stuart's Store

1. How does the box pulling problem in "Accelerating Comics to Stuart's Store" relate to real-life scenarios?

The box pulling problem is a common scenario in physics where an object needs to be moved from one point to another with the help of a force. This can be seen in everyday situations such as pulling a suitcase at the airport or pushing a shopping cart at the grocery store.

2. What are the main factors that affect the acceleration of the box in this problem?

The main factors that affect the acceleration of the box in this problem are the force applied, the mass of the box, and the friction between the box and the ground. The direction of the applied force also plays a crucial role in determining the acceleration of the box.

3. How does the angle of the force affect the acceleration of the box?

The angle of the force can affect the acceleration of the box in two ways. First, if the force is applied at an angle parallel to the ground, it will increase the acceleration of the box. However, if the force is applied at an angle perpendicular to the ground, it will only increase the normal force and not the acceleration.

4. Why is it important to consider friction in this problem?

Friction is an essential factor to consider in this problem because it opposes the motion of the box and affects its acceleration. Without considering friction, the predicted acceleration of the box may not match the actual acceleration in real-life scenarios.

5. How can this problem be solved using equations and formulas?

This problem can be solved using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By using this equation and incorporating the relevant formulas for friction and angle of the force, the acceleration of the box can be calculated.