Solving arcsin(sin 3π): Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the person is seeking help on finding the value of arcsin(sin 3(pi)). They were told it was pi/2 but were unsure and asked for clarification. The expert explains that the domain for the arcsine function only has one possible value for the given value of sine and suggests finding a value within the domain. The person thanks the expert for their help and the conversation ends.
cdhotfire
srry to be a bother but can someone help me on how to do this, it explains it in the book but i don't understand.
Here it is:

arcsin(sin 3(pi))

i would really appreciate ur help, and thxs before hand. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Do it one step at a time. To what is sin 3(pi) equal?

0 right. Is that the awnser, huh?
I was told it was pi/2.

You were told? By whom?

a friend he said it was pi/2, i guess he was wrong because i see now way of getting that, well for these problems like the one above i just get trig function inside the para and that's the awnser. Can i make that generalization?

oh, and thxs for the help :biggrin:

cdhotfire said:
a friend he said it was pi/2, i guess he was wrong because i see now way of getting that, well for these problems like the one above i just get trig function inside the para and that's the awnser. Can i make that generalization?

oh, and thxs for the help :biggrin:

No. What's the domain for the arcsin function? A function only has one possible y (range) for any given value of x (domain).

0 is not the final answer (the quoted post suggests you know that). Instead you have to find a value within the domain of the arcsin function that has a sine of 0.

The variation is if, instead of asking the arcsine, the question asks for all possible values for [tex]\theta[/tex] that have some given value for sine.

ooh, ok, thank very much, take care. :smile: :smile:

Related to Solving arcsin(sin 3π): Step-by-Step Guide

1. How do I solve arcsin(sin 3π)?

To solve arcsin(sin 3π), you can follow these steps:
1. Rewrite the given equation as arcsin(sin x) = 3π
2. Use the identity arcsin(sin x) = x to rewrite the equation as 3π = x
3. Simplify the equation to x = 3π
4. Since the domain of arcsin is between -π/2 and π/2, we need to find an equivalent angle in this range.
5. Use the periodicity of sine function to find an equivalent angle in the desired range. In this case, we can use the fact that sin(3π) = 0 to get x = 0.
6. Therefore, the solution to arcsin(sin 3π) is x = 0.

2. Can arcsin(sin 3π) have multiple solutions?

No, arcsin(sin 3π) has only one solution. This is because the arcsin function is defined as the inverse of the sine function, and by definition, the inverse function has a unique output for each input. In this case, the input is sin 3π, which has only one value (0) and therefore, the output of arcsin(sin 3π) is also unique.

3. How do I know if my solution for arcsin(sin 3π) is correct?

You can check your solution by substituting it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. In this case, if we substitute x = 0 into the equation arcsin(sin x) = 3π, we get arcsin(sin 0) = 3π, which simplifies to 0 = 3π. Since this is not a true statement, we can conclude that our solution of x = 0 is incorrect.

4. Can I express the solution to arcsin(sin 3π) in radians or degrees?

Yes, the solution to arcsin(sin 3π) can be expressed in both radians and degrees. In radians, the solution is x = 0. In degrees, the solution is x = 0°. However, it is important to note that the input to the arcsin function is always a ratio and not an angle, so it may not make sense to express the solution in degrees.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve arcsin(sin 3π)?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve arcsin(sin 3π). Most scientific calculators have a function for arcsin, which is usually denoted as "sin^-1". Simply enter "sin^-1(0)" and you will get the solution of 0.