Solving an Integral Using Trig Substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses an integral with the expression 81/100 divided by 100x^2 + 81. The expert suggests making the substitution 10x = 9tan(theta) and using the formula 1 + tan^2(theta) = sec^2(theta) to simplify the integral. The output should be "In summary, the integral can be rewritten as (81/100) * (1/10) * the integral of 1/((9tan(theta))^2 + 9^2) with respect to theta."
shamieh
\(\displaystyle \int \frac{81/100}{100x^2 + 81}\)

so I know this is \(\displaystyle 1 + tan^2\theta\)

but how do I implement it? isn't it \(\displaystyle a^2 + x\)

so should i let \(\displaystyle x = 100tan\theta\)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I would choose to write the integral as:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{100}\int\frac{1}{\left(\dfrac{10x}{9}\right)^2+1}\,dx\)

Now, what substitution do you think you should make?

shamieh said:
\(\displaystyle \int \frac{81/100}{100x^2 + 81}\)

so I know this is \(\displaystyle 1 + tan^2\theta\)

but how do I implement it? isn't it \(\displaystyle a^2 + x\)

so should i let \(\displaystyle x = 100tan\theta\)?

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{\frac{\frac{81}{100}}{100x^2 + 81}\,\mathrm{d}x} &= \frac{81}{100} \int{ \frac{1}{ \left( 10 x \right) ^2 + 9^2 } \,\mathrm{d}x } \end{align*}$

So now make the substitution $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 10x = 9\tan{(\theta)} \implies \mathrm{d}x = \frac{9}{10}\sec^2{(\theta)}\,\mathrm{d}\theta \end{align*}$ and the integral becomes

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{81}{100} \int{ \frac{1}{ \left[ 9\tan{(\theta)} \right] ^2 + 9^2 } \, \frac{9}{10}\sec^2{(\theta)}\,\mathrm{d}\theta } \end{align*}$

You should be able to do something with this now...

Related to Solving an Integral Using Trig Substitution

1. What is trig substitution?

Trig substitution is a method used to solve integrals involving radicals or rational functions by substituting trigonometric functions for variable expressions.

2. When should I use trig substitution to solve an integral?

Trig substitution is typically used when the integral involves a radical expression (e.g. √(a^2-x^2)) or a rational expression (e.g. 1/(x^2-a^2)), and the substitution of a trigonometric function can simplify the integral.

3. How do I choose which trigonometric function to substitute in an integral?

The choice of trigonometric function to substitute depends on the form of the expression within the integral. For example, if the integral involves a^2-x^2, you would substitute x = a*sinθ. If the integral involves x^2-a^2, you would substitute x = a*tanθ. It is important to choose a substitution that will eliminate the radical or simplify the expression.

4. Can trig substitution be used for all integrals?

No, trig substitution is not applicable to all integrals. It is most commonly used for integrals involving radicals or rational expressions. Other methods, such as u-substitution or integration by parts, may be more suitable for other types of integrals.

5. What are the common mistakes to avoid when using trig substitution?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using trig substitution include choosing an incorrect substitution, not simplifying the expression after substitution, and forgetting to convert the limits of integration to the new variable. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check your work to avoid making these errors.