Solving an Integral Equation: Where's the Error?

In summary, the problem is that the equation is not correct because the "1/u" is where ln|cos x| comes from: tanx= sin x/cos x. If you let u= cos x then du= -sin x dx so \int tan x dx= -\int (1/u)du= --ln|u|+ C= -ln|cos x|+ C.
cscott
[tex]\int \tan x \cdot dx + \int \tan 2y \cdot dy = 0[/tex]

I get

[tex]1 = C\sqrt{\cos 2y} \cos x[/tex]

My init conditions were y(0) = pi/2 so I end up getting C as [itex]\sqrt{-1}[/itex] but the equation should be

[tex]-1 = \cos 2y \cos^2 x[/tex]

Where's my error?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you forget that [itex]\int \frac{du}{u}= ln |u|+ C[/itex]?

That is, did you forget the absolute value?

HallsofIvy said:
Did you forget that [itex]\int \frac{du}{u}= ln |u|+ C[/itex]?

That is, did you forget the absolute value?

Wouldn't I then have to add absolute signs around both cosines? Then C would equal 1 instead of -1.

I'm not sure where 1/u comes up... can't I just integrate tan x to get -ln |cos x| and tan 2y to get -1/2 ln |cos 2y|?

Yes, but the "1/u" is where ln|cos x| comes from: tanx= sin x/cos x. If you let u= cos x then du= -sin x dx so [itex]\int tan x dx= -\int (1/u)du= --ln|u|+ C= -ln|cos x|+ C[/itex]. Of course, tan 2y= sin 2y/cos 2y. If you let u= cos 2y, then du= 2 sin 2y dy so [tex]\int tan 2y dy= -\frac{1}{2}\int (1/u)du= -\frac{1}{2}ln u+ C= -\frac{1}{2} ln|cos 2y|[/tex].

[tex] \int tan x dx+ \int tan 2y dy= -ln|cos x|- \frac{1}{2}ln|cos 2y|+ C[/tex]

Of course, you didn't tell us what the actual problem is so I have no idea how you would decide what C is!

Yes, but the "1/u" is where ln|cos x| comes from: tanx= sin x/cos x.

Oops, I should have seen that.

Of course, you didn't tell us what the actual problem is so I have no idea how you would decide what C is!

Oh, but I did state the initial conditions in my OP! Here they are again: [itex]y(0) = \pi/2[/itex]I worked from where you left off (where we both agree) and I got
[tex]C^2 = |\cos 2y||\cos^2 x|[/tex]

So with the initial conditions

[tex]C^2 = |-1||1| \Leftrightarrow C = \sqrt{1}[/tex]

I can get -1 out of that, but why choose it over 1? Also, the answer stated in my OP (as given in my book) has no absolute value signs, why's that?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Quick recap,

[tex] \int \tan x dx+ \int \tan 2y dy = -\ln |\cos x|- \frac{1}{2}\ln |\cos 2y|+ C=0[/tex]​

notice that since

[tex]-1\leq \cos x\leq 1 \Rightarrow 0\leq |\cos x| \leq 1\Rightarrow -\infty \leq \ln |\cos x| \leq 0 \Rightarrow 0 \leq -\ln |\cos x| \leq \infty ,[/tex]​

and likewise we have [tex] 0 \leq - \frac{1}{2}\ln |\cos 2y| \leq \infty[/tex] so that

[tex] 0 \leq -\ln |\cos x| - \frac{1}{2}\ln |\cos 2y| \leq \infty[/tex]​

but

[tex] -\ln |\cos x| - \frac{1}{2}\ln |\cos 2y| +C=0[/tex]​

so it must be that [tex]C\leq 0,[/tex] so choose the value [tex]C=-1[/tex].

Thanks for your help.

Related to Solving an Integral Equation: Where's the Error?

1. What is an integral equation?

An integral equation is a mathematical equation in which the unknown function appears under one or more integral signs. It is used to describe and solve problems in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

2. What is the process for solving an integral equation?

The process for solving an integral equation involves transforming the equation into a more manageable form, applying appropriate techniques and methods, and then solving for the unknown function.

3. What are some common errors when solving an integral equation?

Common errors when solving an integral equation include incorrect application of techniques, improper manipulation of equations, and incorrect use of limits of integration.

4. How can I identify and fix errors when solving an integral equation?

To identify and fix errors when solving an integral equation, it is important to carefully check each step of the solution and make sure it follows the rules and properties of integration. If an error is found, it can be fixed by going back to the previous step and making the necessary adjustments.

5. What are some tips for successfully solving an integral equation?

To successfully solve an integral equation, it is important to have a strong understanding of integration techniques and properties, carefully check each step of the solution, and practice regularly. It can also be helpful to work through examples and seek assistance from a tutor or mentor if needed.