Solving an Athlete's Shot Range Problem

• Thread starter ChargedTaco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range
In summary, an athlete throws a 16lbs shot at an angle of 45 degrees with an initial speed of 44ft/sec from a height of 6.5ft. Using the equation for projectile motion, the shot will travel 60.5ft before reaching the ground. However, additional calculations are needed to determine the total distance traveled from the initial height of 6.5ft to the ground.
ChargedTaco

Homework Statement

An athlete puts a 16lbs shot at an angle of 45 degrees to horizontal from 6.5ft above the ground at initial speed of 44ft/sec. How far does the shot land?
g=32ft/s^2

Homework Equations

I can only calculated the range from the point it is fired to the point where it is 6.5 ft from the ground. But I have no clue calculating the distance traveled from the interval where it is 6.5ft above the ground to the ground(y=0).

The Attempt at a Solution

d = V0^2 sin2(45)/(32)
= (44)^2/ 32
= 60.5 ft
this is all i know. help please.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
thanks, I'll edit it.

oops, looks like I can't change the title.

You might want to write down all relevant equations for projectile motion and see what you can do with them.

Related to Solving an Athlete's Shot Range Problem

1. What is an athlete's shot range problem?

An athlete's shot range problem refers to the difficulty an athlete may have in consistently making shots from various distances on the playing field or court. This can impact their performance and success during games or competitions.

2. What factors can contribute to an athlete's shot range problem?

There are several factors that can contribute to an athlete's shot range problem, including physical strength, technique, mental focus, and overall conditioning. Other factors such as equipment and environmental conditions can also play a role.

3. How can a scientist help solve an athlete's shot range problem?

A scientist can use scientific methods and data analysis to identify the specific factors that are contributing to an athlete's shot range problem. They can then develop targeted interventions, such as strength training exercises or mental training techniques, to help the athlete improve their performance and overcome the problem.

4. Can an athlete's shot range problem be solved permanently?

It is possible for an athlete's shot range problem to be solved permanently, but it may require ongoing practice and maintenance. Consistent training and attention to the factors that contribute to the problem can help an athlete maintain their shot range over time.

5. Are there any common techniques or strategies for solving an athlete's shot range problem?

Yes, there are several common techniques and strategies that can be used to help solve an athlete's shot range problem. These can include strength and conditioning training, video analysis to improve technique, visualization and mental training, and making adjustments to equipment or environmental factors. The specific approach will depend on the individual athlete and their unique needs.