Solving Algebraic Expressions with Potens Rules | Quick Homework Question

• Thread starter christian0710
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation is about transforming an expression involving radicals into a simplified form. The individual is unsure of how to bring anything under the radical sign and asks for help. Another person suggests adding the expressions together and simplifying. The individual then realizes that taking the square root of dt^2 will allow both terms to be under the radical. Lastly, there is a discussion about the validity of this approach.
christian0710

Homework Statement

I stated this as a small attached photo, since i still need to learn to write in latex (see photo)

Homework Equations

How do you transform the first expression into the next expression (on photo)?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]I tried various manipulations with potens rules, but I'm really lost here, please help me out.,

Attachments

• math 1.PNG
    math 1.PNG
    2.9 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what 'potens' rules are, but how do you bring anything under the radical sign? What must you do to it first?

Or as an alternate approach, if you add the expressions together under the radical on the RHS and simplify, what do you get?

SteamKing said:
I'm not sure what 'potens' rules are, but how do you bring anything under the radical sign? What must you do to it first?

Or as an alternate approach, if you add the expressions together under the radical on the RHS and simplify, what do you get?
I'm unsure of that: what must you do to bring something under the radical sign? I'm suck with respect to that trick.

Ohh wait now I get it, if you take the square root of dt^2 then both terms are under the radical :)

christian0710 said:
I'm unsure of that: what must you do to bring something under the radical sign? I'm suck with respect to that trick.

I don't have any compehension of what the LHS means. But, in terms of "algebra", the identity is only true if dt is positive.

##\frac{\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}}{c} = \pm \sqrt{\frac{a^2}{c^2} + \frac{b^2}{c^2}}##

Related to Solving Algebraic Expressions with Potens Rules | Quick Homework Question

What is the order of operations in algebra?

The order of operations in algebra is PEMDAS, which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). This order should always be followed when solving algebraic equations to ensure accuracy.

How do I solve for a variable in an algebraic equation?

To solve for a variable in an algebraic equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This is done by performing the inverse operation of each mathematical operation on both sides of the equation. For example, to solve for x in the equation 2x + 4 = 10, you would first subtract 4 from both sides, then divide both sides by 2 to get x = 3.

What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation in which the highest power of the variable is 1. It has the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. Linear equations are used to represent relationships between two variables that can be graphed as a straight line.

How do I graph an algebraic equation?

To graph an algebraic equation, you need to plot points on a coordinate plane and then connect them with a straight line. To plot a point, substitute values for the variables in the equation and then plot the resulting x and y coordinates on the graph. Repeat this process for at least two points, and then draw a line connecting the points to create the graph.

How can I check if my solution to an algebraic equation is correct?

You can check if your solution to an algebraic equation is correct by plugging the solution back into the original equation and seeing if it results in a true statement. For example, if your solution for x is 3 in the equation 2x + 4 = 10, you can check by substituting 3 for x and seeing if 2(3) + 4 = 10 is true. If it is, then your solution is correct.