Solving Algebraic Equations Involving Logarithms

• Thread starter Corkery
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary, you can solve equations algebraically that have the form Log(subscript4) (a^2 + 2) = Log(subscript 4) (2a + 10), where Log(subscript4) is the logarithm of the subscript 4. Additionally, you can solve equations that are similar that have the form Log(subscript5) (x+3) + Log(subscript5) (x-2) = Log(subscript5) 14, where Log(subscript5) is the logarithm of the subscript 5. Lastly, you can solve equations that have the form Log(subscript2) (2x+6) - Log(subscript
Corkery

Homework Statement

Solve Algebraically:

Log(subscript4) (a^2 + 2) = Log(subscript 4) (2a + 10)

Homework Equations

other equations that are similar which I can't do are:
Solve Algebraically:

-Log(subscript 5) (x + 3) + Log(subscript 5) (x - 2) = Log(subscript 5) 14

-Log(subscript 2) (2x + 6) - Log(subscript 2) x = 3

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure if this is right but I think you would divide by Log(subscript 4)
Log(subscript4) (a^2 + 2) = Log(subscript 4) (2a + 10)
------------------------------------------------------
Log(subscript4) Log(subscript4)

canceled those out leaving:
a^2 + 2 = 2a + 10

expand the equation:
this is where i get lost, unless I am doing it completely wrong. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution is essentially right, but the formalism is painfully wrong. If f(x)=f(y) you cannot divide by f. You have to apply the inverse function of f. The inverse of Log(subscript4) is 4^. As in 4^(Log(subscript4)(x))=x. And a^2 + 2 = 2a + 10
is a harmless quadratic equation. Don't get confused there, just factor it or use the quadratic equation.

When doing log equations, you should try to remember all the formulae. Some useful are:

(1) logab + logac = loga(bc)
(2) logab - logac = loga(b / c)
(3) loga(bc) = c loga(b)
(4) The change base formula:
[tex]\log_{a}b = \frac{\log_{c}b}{\log_{c}a}[/tex]

(5) Since logarithm is either strictly increasing or strictly decreasing (i.e, 1-1 function), we have:
[tex]\log_a b = \log_a c \Leftrightarrow b = c[/tex]

You cannot divide logab by loga to get b, it's as meaningless as saying that:
[tex]\frac{\sin x}{\sin} = x[/tex]

----------------

I'll help you do the first one, and let you try the other 2 by yourself. See if you can get it. :)

log4 (a2 + 2) = log4 (2a + 10)
Using (5), we have:
<=> a2 + 2 = 2a + 10
<=> a2 - 2a - 8 = 0
[tex]\Leftrightarrow a = 4 \quad \mbox{or} \quad a = -2[/tex]
a2 + 2, and 2a + 10 should all be positive. And both values satisfy the requirements, so we have 2 solutions:
[tex]a = 4 \quad \mbox{or} \quad a = -2[/tex]

Is it cear?
Can you do the other 2? :)

Last edited:
VietDao, why should a be positive? You need a2+2 and 2a+10 to be positive, you don't need a to be positive. Note, those expressions are positive for both a=4 and a=-2.

AKG said:
VietDao, why should a be positive? You need a2+2 and 2a+10 to be positive, you don't need a to be positive. Note, those expressions are positive for both a=4 and a=-2.

Whoops, I thought that a was the base :blushing: :cry:. Er... stand corrected. :smile:
Thanks. :blushing:

Related to Solving Algebraic Equations Involving Logarithms

1. What are logarithms and why are they used in algebraic equations?

Logarithms are mathematical functions that represent the power to which a base number must be raised to equal a given number. They are used in algebraic equations to help simplify and solve complex equations involving exponents and powers.

2. How do you solve equations involving logarithms?

To solve equations involving logarithms, you must first isolate the logarithmic term on one side of the equation. Then, use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. Finally, solve for the unknown variable by using inverse operations.

3. What are the properties of logarithms?

The properties of logarithms include the product property, quotient property, power property, and base property. These properties allow you to manipulate logarithmic expressions and simplify equations involving logarithms.

4. Can you solve equations involving logarithms without using a calculator?

Yes, you can solve equations involving logarithms without using a calculator by using the properties of logarithms and basic algebraic techniques. However, a calculator can help with more complex equations or when dealing with non-integer solutions.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations involving logarithms?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations involving logarithms include forgetting to use the properties of logarithms, making errors in simplifying expressions, and forgetting to check for extraneous solutions. It is important to carefully follow each step and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.