Solving a Very Tricky Integral

• Thread starter mvillagra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses a complex integral involving trigonometric and exponential functions with various constants. The speaker requests assistance in finding a closed form solution using asymptotic techniques or Laplaces's method, and suggests rewriting the equation using Euler's identity. Another speaker suggests checking online resources for integration solutions. However, the integral is ultimately deemed unsolvable.
mvillagra
Hi, can someone give me a hand with this "little" integral please.

[tex]\int (\cos{k})^{t-s+1}(b-a\sin^2k)^{s/2}e^{-ik(n-1)}dk[/tex]

where
t is the time, which is discrete
s is between 0 and t
k has domain [-pi, pi]
n is a natural number
a, b are complex constants

actually this integral is the binomial expansion of this other integral

[tex]\int (\cos{k}+\sqrt{b-a\sin^2k})^t\cos k \quad e^{-ik(n-1)}dk[/tex]

there are some other constants, which I omitted. Also, I am omitting the coefficients and summation of the binomial expansion in the first integral.

I'm looking for a closed form, and I tried using asymptotic approximations but it doesn't work because in general to solve it using asymptotic techniques you need to write it in this form:

[tex]f(k)e^{\phi(k,t)}[/tex]

and I can't do that. Maybe there are some other asymptotic techniques that I don't know, maybe you can also give me a hand on this.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks painfull. Sorry, but I have no ideas.

Maybe Laplaces's method could work. It requires an integral with the form:

[tex]I_n=\int_a^b \phi(k)[f(x)]^tdk[/tex]

Take a maximum point [tex]\xi[/tex] of the function [tex]f[/tex], then the integral is:

[tex]I_n\sim \phi(\xi)[f(\xi)]^{t+1/2}\left[\frac{-2\pi}{tf{''}(\xi)}\right]^{1/2}\textrm{ as }t\to\infty[/tex]

I think that this method only requires [tex]f[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] to be analytic.

I am not fully sure right now how to incorporate it, but it seems as though you have "[URL identity[/URL] in your original equation. Perhaps you can rewrite [tex]e^{-ik(n-1)}[/tex] in terms of complex numbers (cosine and sine). You would have [tex]e^{-ik(n-1)} = e^{i(1k- kn)} = \frac{e^{ik}}{e^{kn}} = \frac{cos(1k)+isin(1k)}{cos(kn)+isin(kn)}.[/tex] If that seems like a good idea, maybe someone else could go into this integration in more detail (using euler's identity).

If that helps at all, that would be great. Otherwise, forgive me, and you can always check answers to various integrations online- Wolfram offers a website that does nearly all integrations.

I did out your"binomial expansion" equation and the results can be found:
http://integrals.wolfram.com/index....sin(k))^2k)^(t)cos(x)e^(-ix(n-1)&random=false

Goodluck,JL

Last edited by a moderator:
jeff1evesque said:
I am not fully sure right now how to incorporate it, but it seems as though you have "[URL identity[/URL] in your original equation. Perhaps you can rewrite [tex]e^{-ik(n-1)}[/tex] in terms of complex numbers (cosine and sine). You would have [tex]e^{-ik(n-1)} = e^{i(1k- kn)} = \frac{e^{ik}}{e^{kn}} = \frac{cos(1k)+isin(1k)}{cos(kn)+isin(kn)}.[/tex] If that seems like a good idea, maybe someone else could go into this integration in more detail (using euler's identity).

I did out your"binomial expansion" equation and the results can be found:
http://integrals.wolfram.com/index....sin(k))^2k)^(t)cos(x)e^(-ix(n-1)&random=false

I tried to decompose it but the integral stays ugly :frown:

Also, I've checked the link, but the input was incorrect, there was one parenthesis missing and solved a different integral. I fixed it, and the answer I got was "Mathematica could not find a formula for your integral. Most likely this means that no formula exists" :cry:

Thank you very much for the reply

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solving a Very Tricky Integral

1. How do you approach solving a very tricky integral?

The first step in solving a tricky integral is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Look for any patterns or techniques that can be applied to simplify the integral. It is also helpful to review any relevant mathematical rules or formulas.

2. What is the best way to check if the solution to a tricky integral is correct?

After solving the integral, plug the solution back into the original equation to verify that it satisfies the given conditions. You can also use a graphing calculator or online graphing tool to visualize the integral and its solution, which can give you a visual confirmation.

3. Are there any tips for solving trigonometric integrals?

One tip is to use trigonometric identities to simplify the integrand. Another is to look for substitution patterns, such as using u-substitution or trigonometric substitution. It is also helpful to memorize the commonly used trigonometric integrals.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on a tricky integral?

If you are stuck on a tricky integral, take a break and come back to it later with fresh eyes. Sometimes, a different perspective can help you see a solution more clearly. You can also ask a friend or colleague for their insights, or consult online resources for tips and techniques.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving tricky integrals?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving tricky integrals. Work through a variety of problems and try different approaches and techniques. It is also helpful to review the basics of calculus and familiarize yourself with different integration rules and formulas.