Solving a torque equation with two force angles

In summary, the crank pin angle (piston rod to crank) does not work with the piston pin angle (piston rod to piston). You need to know the angles for each position in order to solve for the other. This information can be found in a resource like a book or online.
JLD Co
I'm comparing the torque developed by two different engine concepts. One is a new fandangled concept being built that lends itself to a simple torque equation F x r x sine theta (Force, radial vector of the crank, angle of Force) because it has only one angle of Force being applied to the rotating mass. The other is a conventional reciprocating engine with a "square" configuration (equal bore and stroke dimensions). In the conventional engine the above equation works for the crank pin angle (piston rod to crank) but nothing is making sense when I try to combine it with the piston pin angle (piston rod to piston). I know all the angles for any given piston/crank position. I just need the trick to solve for anyone given position... say 90 degrees from TDC. Any mathy engine types available to help me out with this probably elementary problem?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Torque is related to rotation and the piston doesn't rotate, so there is not suppose to be any torque there, only a pushing force.

The average power of the piston will be the average force times its average velocity.

The average power of the crankshaft will be the average torque times its average angular velocity (rpm).

Calculated with proper SI units, both values of power will be equal. On the average, the force will relate to the torque by a factor r (radius) and the velocity will relate to the angular velocity by the same factor r.

A piston, piston rod and crankshaft is a mechanism for converting linear motion into rotational motion...torque. Computing for torque when the angle of force on the lever arm (radial vector) is 90 degrees is simple: F X r (Force times the length of the lever). Computing for torque when the angle of force is anything other than 90 degrees requires the addition of the multiplier sine theta (the sine of the angle of force). But when the force is from two different angles the computation is trickier.
I'm simply trying to determine the torque produced by this mechanism with two angles involved in the "push"... the angle between the vector of the piston and the piston rod (at the piston pin) and then the angle between the radial vector of the crankshaft and the piston rod (at the crank pin).

Have a look here : Engine design pdf

If that does not give you the information you need you then please post a clear diagram of your engine configuration so that we provide more specific help .

Last edited:
If I understand you correctly, the following should help you (source):

Fig.%206.2.jpg

Where ##x_p = l\cos\phi + r\cos\theta = l(\cos\phi + \frac{r}{l}\cos\theta)## and so the torque is ##T = F_g l(\cos\phi + \frac{r}{l}\cos\theta) \tan\phi## and ##\tan\phi = \frac{\frac{r}{l}\sin\theta}{\sqrt{1-\left(\frac{r}{l}\right)^2 \sin^2\theta}}##​

Now we're talking. There's my two angles. Thank you very much.

Nidum said:
Have a look here : Engine design pdf

If that does give you the information you need you then please post a clear diagram of your engine configuration so that we provide more specific help .
Jack Action gave me what I specifically was looking for but there's is a whole lot of valuable information in your Engine Design pdf. Our team thanks you.

What Jack has provided will enable you to compute the torque due to gas pressure, but there is more.

The piston mass is being accelerated, and this requires an internal force. The connecting rod CM is being accelerated (both axially and transversely) and there is an angular acceleration of the connecting rod. All of these mass acceleration terms act like forces (they an not true forces, but M*a terms), so they two contribute to the torque acting on the crank at any particular instant.

To deal with the full problem, it is necessary to have a good handle on the kinematics of the entire system. Then formulating the full equation of motion for a single cylinder, including all accelerating masses, will show what effective torque terms are present.

Dr.D said:
What Jack has provided will enable you to compute the torque due to gas pressure, but there is more.

The piston mass is being accelerated, and this requires an internal force. The connecting rod CM is being accelerated (both axially and transversely) and there is an angular acceleration of the connecting rod. All of these mass acceleration terms act like forces (they an not true forces, but M*a terms), so they two contribute to the torque acting on the crank at any particular instant.

To deal with the full problem, it is necessary to have a good handle on the kinematics of the entire system. Then formulating the full equation of motion for a single cylinder, including all accelerating masses, will show what effective torque terms are present.
Thank you very, very much. You confirmed my intuitive fear. I'm over my head. I'll consult with a PhD friend who owes me and let him read these responses.
Much obliged.

Related to Solving a torque equation with two force angles

What is a torque equation?

A torque equation is a mathematical expression that relates the forces and distances involved in the rotational motion of an object. It helps in calculating the magnitude and direction of the torque acting on an object.

What are the units of torque?

The units of torque are newton-meters (N·m) in the metric system and foot-pounds (ft·lb) in the imperial system.

How do you calculate torque with two force angles?

To calculate torque with two force angles, you need to use the formula τ = r x F x sin(θ), where τ is the torque, r is the distance from the pivot point to the point of application of the force, F is the magnitude of the force, and θ is the angle between the force and the lever arm.

What is the significance of solving a torque equation?

Solving a torque equation helps in understanding the rotational motion of an object and predicting its behavior. It is also crucial in designing and analyzing machines and structures that involve rotational motion, such as gears, pulleys, and levers.

Can torque equations be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, torque equations can be applied to real-world situations. They are used in various fields, including engineering, physics, and mechanics, to solve problems related to rotational motion. For example, they are used to design car engines, analyze the stability of buildings, and understand the motion of planets in space.