Solving a System of Equations with Matrix

In summary, the person is trying to solve a large equation system involving a 5x5 matrix. They are wondering if there is a similar method like using inverse matrices or using software like Maple or MATLAB to solve it. The expert suggests solving iteratively or finding the eigen vector corresponding to eigenvalue 1 for the matrix. They also mention the 'eig' command in MATLAB for finding eigenvectors and eigenvalues.
LostInSpace
Hi! I'm trying to solve an equation system [tex]\vec{\pi}\mathbb{P} = \vec{\pi}[/tex] where [tex]\vec{\pi} = (\pi_1, \pi_2, \pi_3, \pi_4, \pi_5)[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{P}[/tex] is a 5x5 matrix (constants). The problem is that the equation system is a bit to large to handle, at least for me. I remember that linear equation systems can be solved [tex]\mathbb{X}\vec{v} = \mathbb{Y} \Rightarrow \vec{v} = \mathbb{X}^{-1}\mathbb{Y}[/tex]. Is there anything similar I can use to solve this system? Or can I solve it using maple or matlab?

Thanks in advance,
Nille

Physics news on Phys.org
hi,
I am not sure whether i have correctly understood your problem.
I think u will be able to solve the system of equation iteratively.
consider,
Ax=b
where A is the constant 5 * 5 matrix, x is the variable vector(5 * 1) which you want to find out and b is again a constant vector(5 * 1).
The above equation can be written as,

(A+I - I)x = b, where I is the identity matrix.
simplifying we get,
x = (A+I)x -b.
Hence x(k+1) = (A+I)x(k) - b, where k is the iteration number.
One can start with some approximate value of the vector x at k=0.

If you are trying to solve something like:
Ax = x
this is equivalent to finding the eigen vector corresponding to eigenvalue 1 for the matrix A.
May be this might help you.
In MATLAB there is a 'eig' command which gives you all the eigenvectors and eigen values of matrix.

Last edited:

Hi Nille,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your system of equations. Solving a system of equations can be challenging, especially when dealing with larger matrices like the one you have described. However, there are several methods you can use to solve this type of problem.

One method is to use the inverse matrix, as you have mentioned. In order to use this method, you will need to find the inverse of the matrix \mathbb{P}. This can be done by using a calculator or by hand using the Gauss-Jordan elimination method. Once you have the inverse matrix, you can then multiply it by \vec{\pi} to solve for \vec{v}.

Another method is to use a computer program such as Maple or MATLAB. These programs have built-in functions that can solve systems of equations, including those with large matrices. You can input your matrix and vector into the program and it will give you the solution for \vec{v}.

Overall, both methods can be effective in solving your system of equations. It may be helpful to try both methods and see which one gives you the most accurate and efficient solution. I hope this helps and good luck with your problem!

Related to Solving a System of Equations with Matrix

1. What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations that have a common set of variables. The solution to a system of equations is a set of values for the variables that satisfy all of the equations simultaneously.

2. How do I represent a system of equations using matrices?

A system of equations can be represented using matrices by creating a matrix for the coefficients of the variables and a matrix for the constants. These matrices can then be combined to form an augmented matrix, which is used to solve the system of equations using matrix operations.

3. What are the steps for solving a system of equations with matrices?

The steps for solving a system of equations with matrices are as follows:
1. Write the equations in standard form.
2. Create a matrix for the coefficients of the variables and a matrix for the constants.
3. Combine the matrices to form an augmented matrix.
4. Use matrix operations to reduce the augmented matrix to row-echelon form.
5. Solve for the variables using back substitution.
6. Check the solution by plugging in the values into the original equations.

4. Can a system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of equations can have one unique solution, no solution, or infinitely many solutions. This depends on the consistency and independence of the equations in the system. For example, if the equations are inconsistent, meaning they have no common solutions, then the system has no solution. If the equations are dependent, meaning they are essentially the same equation, then the system has infinitely many solutions.

5. Are there any real-world applications for solving systems of equations with matrices?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for solving systems of equations with matrices. Some examples include using matrix equations to model and solve problems in economics, physics, and engineering. Matrices can also be used in computer graphics, cryptography, and data analysis.