Solving a Problem: Calculating Brick Velocity, Height and Time

In summary, the conversation involves solving a problem about a person throwing a brick off a building and calculating the velocity at which the brick hits the ground, the height of the building, and the time it would take for the brick to hit the ground if thrown upward. There is some disagreement about the answer for part (c) and the importance of using a consistent coordinate system.
Alain12345
I solved a problem my teacher assigned, but I don't know if I did it right. The question is:

A person standing on the roof of a building throws a brick straight down at 7 m/s. THe brick hits the ground 4 seconds later.
Calculate:
a) The velocity at which the brick hits the ground (I got 46.24 m/s)
b) The height of the building (I got 106.48 m)
c) If the brick is thrown upward instead, at 7 m/s, how much longer will it take to hit the ground? (I said it would take 11.108 s)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
what did you receive for time? 7m/s is initial velocity right?

It hit the ground 4 seconds after, so that's the time... and 7 m/s is the initial velocity.

I agree with (a) and (b), but I got a different number for (c).

What was your number? I got mine by getting the time it traveled up at 7m/s. It hit zero velocity, and started accelerating towards the ground by the acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s2). Then I calculated how many seconds it took from zero velocity to the ground. Is my method even correct?

Edit: Sorry, I wrote down what I did wrong... this isn't the method I used...

Last edited:
Well I don't want to give you the answer :wink:

You need to use the formula:

[tex]x(t) = \frac{1}{2} a t^2 + v_0 t + x_0[/tex]

and pick appropriate values for [itex]a[/itex], [itex]v_0[/itex], and [itex]x_0[/itex]. Your specific values will depend on your coordinate system, of course. Just make sure that you're explicit with where the origin of your coordinate system is and which way you're calling positive, then make sure that all your numbers are consistent with that coordinate system.

physhelp said:
for the height of the building I got 52.9, i might be wrong but this is how i got mine. X=0, A=-9.8, t=4, Vo=7...i solved for Xo in the formula X=1/2at^2+Vot+Xo

If you're saying that the acceleration is negative then you're saying that gravity pulls the brick in the negative x direction. This means that your initial velocity should also be negative.

Like I said above, it's important to be very careful about what your coordinate system is and make sure that all the values you're using make sense in that coordinate system. That's really the hardest part with these problems is making sure that you're consistent.

Related to Solving a Problem: Calculating Brick Velocity, Height and Time

1. How do you calculate the velocity of a brick?

To calculate the velocity of a brick, you need to know the distance it has traveled and the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for velocity is velocity = distance/time. So, divide the distance traveled by the time it took to get the velocity of the brick.

2. What is the equation for calculating the height of a brick?

The equation for calculating the height of a brick is height = initial velocity * time - (1/2) * acceleration * time^2. This equation takes into account the initial velocity and acceleration of the brick to determine its height at a specific time.

3. How can I determine the time it takes for a brick to reach a certain height?

To determine the time it takes for a brick to reach a certain height, you can use the equation for calculating the height of a brick and rearrange it to solve for time. The equation would become time = (height + (1/2) * acceleration * time^2)/initial velocity.

4. What units should be used when calculating brick velocity, height, and time?

The units used for calculating brick velocity, height, and time should be consistent. The distance should be measured in meters, the time in seconds, and the acceleration in meters per second squared. This will ensure that the calculations are accurate and can be easily compared to other measurements.

5. Is there a specific method or formula for calculating the velocity, height, and time of a brick?

Yes, there are specific equations and formulas that can be used to calculate the velocity, height, and time of a brick. These equations are based on the principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion. It is important to use the correct formula and input accurate measurements to get an accurate result.