Find the final velocity of the block

In summary: What is the reason for needing all variables?The reason for needing all variables is so that I can find the final velocity.
MARK STRETERS

Homework Statement

So here is the problem, There is a .03kg block that is in an inverted cone, the cone has a slant length of 15 cm and a radius of 4 cm, and the coefficient of friction is .35. The block rotates around the inside of the cone, seamlessly, until it hits the bottom of the cone. That is all we are given and we are supposed to find the final velocity of the block right before it hits the bottom of the cone. The picture attached is accurate except imagine that the cone is 3d and the block is moving in a circular motion around the edges of the cone. I have tried this numerous ways and each time I get an irrational answer.

Homework Equations

Ff= (mu)(mg)(costheta)
Vf^2= Vo^2 + 2a(X-Xo)
Vf= Vo +at

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the velocity of the block were it simply sliding down an inclined plane, pretty easy stuff, and I got 1.601 m/s for the final velocity. Its the centripetal/tangential acceleration that I'm having trouble with. What I did was I found what I think the tangential acceleration of the block using (mu)(Normal Force)/mass. If I did that correctly, I found the tangential acceleration to be .915 m/s^2. From there I used the kinematics equation vf= vo + at to find the final velocity. I found t from the equation t= √((2y)/a) using the height of the cone, .1446 cm, for y and .915 for a, and I found t to be .5621 seconds. So back to the kinematics equation vf= vo + at, I plugged in values and found vf= 0 + (.915)(.5621)= .514 m/s. So what I did from there was I plugged in the tangential final velocity and the final velocity of the block if it were down an inclined plane and plugged them into √((a)^2 + (b)^2)= √((1.601)^2 + (.514)^2) and got 1.68 m/s for the final velocity of the block, but I have no idea if that is correct. The picture below is accurate except imagine that the cone is 3d and the block is rotating around the inside of the cone.

Attachments

• IMG_7449.jpg
    IMG_7449.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 605
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Mark,

What is theta ?
Do you realize that for an outsider this isn't decipherable ? You say "rotates" but rotation never reappears, yet "this is all we are given". There are no intial conditions either.

BvU said:
Hi Mark,

What is theta ?
Do you realize that for an outsider this isn't decipherable ? You say "rotates" but rotation never reappears, yet "this is all we are given". There are no intial conditions either.
sorry, theta is 74.53 degrees. As for the whole rotates thing, this is as descriptive as our teacher was when giving us this problem. My problem statement isn't verbatim, but he never told us anything aside from what I have given. I am just as confused by this problem as you are.

How did you get the normal force?
MARK STRETERS said:
I found the tangential acceleration to be .915 m/s^2
What did you assume for the direction of motion?
MARK STRETERS said:
I found t from the equation t= √((2y)/a) using the height of the cone, .1446 cm, for y and .915 for a
How is the tangential acceleration related to time?

If you really have to consider a 3D motion in the cone, I would expect that both [the angle between "directly down" and the direction of motion of the object] and [the velocity] approach some constant that can be found. Brackets for clarity.

What are the initial conditions? If the block is not moving, there is no point in having the cone, it will just slide down an inclined slope.

mfb said:
How did you get the normal force?
What did you assume for the direction of motion?
How is the tangential acceleration related to time?

If you really have to consider a 3D motion in the cone, I would expect that both [the angle between "directly down" and the direction of motion of the object] and [the velocity] approach some constant that can be found. Brackets for clarity.

What are the initial conditions? If the block is not moving, there is no point in having the cone, it will just slide down an inclined slope.
We weren't given any initial conditions other than that the block is set into motion around the cone. I was using an equation to find time so I could have all variables for the kinematic equation Vf=Vo + at

MARK STRETERS said:
I was using an equation to find time so I could have all variables for the kinematic equation Vf=Vo + at
You cannot randomly use equations just because they have the right units.

Related to Find the final velocity of the block

1. What is the formula for finding the final velocity of a block?

The formula for finding the final velocity of a block is Vf = Vi + at, where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How do you determine the initial and final velocities of a block?

The initial velocity of a block can be determined by measuring its velocity at the beginning of the motion. The final velocity can be calculated using the formula Vf = Vi + at, or by measuring the velocity at the end of the motion.

3. What is the acceleration of a block in motion?

The acceleration of a block in motion is the rate of change in its velocity over time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, or by using the formula a = (Vf - Vi) / t.

4. How does the mass of the block affect its final velocity?

The mass of the block does not directly affect its final velocity, but it can affect the amount of force required to change its velocity. A heavier block may require more force to reach a certain final velocity compared to a lighter block.

5. Can the final velocity of a block be greater than its initial velocity?

Yes, the final velocity of a block can be greater than its initial velocity if it undergoes acceleration during its motion. This means that the block is increasing its velocity over time.