Solving a Non-Linear System: Approaches and Techniques

In summary, anemone found a way to solve the system by inspection. She found that the point $(0,-1)$ solves the system. This solution may not be unique.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hi members of the forum,

I am given to solve the following non-linear system:

Solve \(\displaystyle (1+4^{2x-y})(5^{1-2x+y})=1+2^{2x-y+1}\) and \(\displaystyle y^3+4x+\ln(y^2+2x)+1=0\)

I'm interested to know how you would approach this problem because I don't see a way to do so.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, $2x-y=1$ solves the LH equation, by inspection. You could rewrite this as $2x=y+1$. Plugging this into the other equation yields
$$y^3+2y+2+ \ln(y^2+y+1)+1=0,$$
or
$$y^3+2y+3+ \ln(y^2+y+1)=0.$$
WolframAlpha shows a solution of $y=-1$, which you can see solves the second equation. So the point $(0,-1)$ solves the system. It may not be unique.

anemone said:
Hi members of the forum,

I am given to solve the following non-linear system:

Solve \(\displaystyle (1+4^{2x-y})(5^{1-2x+y})=1+2^{2x-y+1}\) and \(\displaystyle y^3+4x+\ln(y^2+2x)+1=0\)

I'm interested to know how you would approach this problem because I don't see a way to do so.

Thanks!
There may be a "fancy" method to showing there is only one solution, and I don't have one. :)

I do have a very suggestive graph however, which should give an idea about how to prove it. (I zoomed out to some really high values and that green function just keeps looking like it's a straight line.)

-Dan

Attachments

• nonlinear.jpg
    nonlinear.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 39
One way to show that

$\displaystyle (1+4^{2x-y})(5^{1-2x+y})=1+2^{2x-y+1}$

has the only solution $2x-y = 1$ is to let $u = 2x-y$ so the first equations becomes

$F(u)=\displaystyle 5^{1-u} + 5 \left(\frac{4}{5}\right)^u - 2^{u+1}-1$

Clearly, $F(1) = 0$ as shown previously. To show that $F(u) \ne 0$ for other values of $u$ is to show that $F' < 0$ for all $u$.

Side bar: Since this is in the Pre-Algebra Algebra section, calculus is probably not assumed :-)

Last edited:
I want to thank all of you for helping me with this tough problem. It takes very little time to arrive at the result if we approach the problem by inspection, and then try to prove the first equation has only one solution using the calculus. I appreciate all of the help and thanks to MHB particularly for providing the platform for us to ask for guidance in every maths problems that we encounter.

P.S. This problem is actually an Olympiad maths problem and thus, I am sorry for posting this in this sub-forum but I don't know where else I should post this; sorry if I have posted it in an inappropriate sub-forum.

anemone said:
P.S. This problem is actually an Olympiad maths problem and thus, I am sorry for posting this in this sub-forum but I don't know where else I should post this; sorry if I have posted it in an inappropriate sub-forum.

Hello anemone,

Personally I feel you chose the sub-forum in which to post this problem appropriately. It is after all an algebra problem, and Jester was merely commenting that the calculus could be used as a tool to show the uniqueness of the solution, but he was unsure whether this was a technique you would want to consider given you posted here. I don't think he was implying you posted incorrectly.

I know you are careful about where and how you post, so you can rest assured the staff here does not in any way think you are careless about where you have posted a problem. (Happy)

Related to Solving a Non-Linear System: Approaches and Techniques

1. What is a non-linear system?

A non-linear system is a mathematical system in which the output is not directly proportional to the input. This means that the relationship between the variables in the system is not a straight line.

2. How is a non-linear system solved?

Non-linear systems can be solved using various methods such as substitution, elimination, and graphing. However, these methods are not always effective and may require the use of more advanced techniques such as Newton's method or the Broyden-Fletcher-Goldfarb-Shanno (BFGS) algorithm.

3. What are the challenges in solving a non-linear system?

The main challenge in solving a non-linear system is that there is no one set method that can be used for all types of non-linear systems. Each system may require a different approach, and some systems may not have a solution at all. Additionally, non-linear systems can often have multiple solutions or no solutions at all, making it difficult to determine the correct answer.

4. What are some real-life applications of solving non-linear systems?

Non-linear systems can be found in numerous fields such as physics, economics, engineering, and biology. They are often used to model complex relationships and predict outcomes in these areas. For example, non-linear systems are used to analyze the stock market, predict weather patterns, and study population growth.

5. How can solving non-linear systems benefit society?

Solving non-linear systems can lead to a better understanding of complex systems and provide insights that can be applied to real-world problems. This can result in more accurate predictions, improved efficiency, and better decision-making in various industries. Additionally, non-linear systems can also help in developing new technologies and improving existing ones.