Solving a matrix of ones and zeros

• Thread starter JesseJC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
I appreciate it.In summary, the conversation discusses a network flow problem and the difficulty in finding solutions for x4 and x6. However, the expert explains that there will be infinitely many solutions and suggests looking for basic solutions by setting one variable to 0 and solving for the others. The expert also provides resources for further understanding of basic solutions.
JesseJC

Homework Statement

_ _
|1 0 0 0 -1 0 0 | 700 |
|0 1 0 0 -1 0 0 | 500 |
|0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 | 150 |
|0 0 0 1 0 1 0 | 1200 |
|0 0 0 0 1 0 0 | -650 |
|0 0 0 0 0 0 1 | -600 |

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is driving me up the wall, am I missing something obvious here? It's a network flow problem and I've been working at it for a while now, I've tried my best to get it into reduced row echelon form and it's so close, but I can't seem to figure out how to find x4 and x6. if anyone could smack some sense into me here that'd be good

Physics news on Phys.org
JesseJC said:

Homework Statement

_ _
|1 0 0 0 -1 0 0 | 700 |
|0 1 0 0 -1 0 0 | 500 |
|0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 | 150 |
|0 0 0 1 0 1 0 | 1200 |
|0 0 0 0 1 0 0 | -650 |
|0 0 0 0 0 0 1 | -600 |

Homework Equations

This is driving me up the wall, am I missing something obvious here? It's a network flow problem and I've been working at it for a while now, I've tried my best to get it into reduced row echelon form and it's so close, but I can't seem to figure out how to find x4 and x6. if anyone could smack some sense into me here that'd be good
Your matrix of coefficients contains 6 rows x 7 columns. If you are looking for a unique solution, one may not be available.

If you want to show something like a matrix,without using Latex, you can cheat and use [*code*] tags instead:

Code:
|1 0 0 0 -1 0 0 |  700 |
|0 1 0 0 -1 0 0 |  500 |
|0 0 1 0  0 0 0 |  150 |
|0 0 0 1  0 1 0 | 1200 |
|0 0 0 0  1 0 0 | -650 |
|0 0 0 0  0 0 1 | -600 |

JesseJC said:

Homework Statement

_ _
|1 0 0 0 -1 0 0 | 700 |
|0 1 0 0 -1 0 0 | 500 |
|0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 | 150 |
|0 0 0 1 0 1 0 | 1200 |
|0 0 0 0 1 0 0 | -650 |
|0 0 0 0 0 0 1 | -600 |

Homework Equations

You have 6 equations in 7 unknowns, so generally (and truly, in this case) there will be infinitely many solutions. In the context of something like linear network optimization, we would look for basic solutions, obtained by setting one of the variables to 0 and then solving for the other 6 from the 6 equations. Of course, we must choose 6 linearly-independent columns on the left; that is, we must choose a solvable 6 × 6 system.

Never mind echelon forms---they do not really help you here, and they just get in the way and obscure what is going on. Basically, you have some equations, and they are not difficult to deal with in this case. Equation 6 says ##x_7 = -600##, equation 5 says ##x_5 = -650## and equation 3 says ##x_3 = 150##. Besides those, we have:
[tex]
\begin{array}{rl} \text{eq.}\:1: &x_1 - x_5 = 700 \\
\text{eq.} \; 2: &x_2 - x_5 = 500\\
\text{eq.} \: 4: & x_4 + x_6 = 1200
\end{array}
[/tex]
Since we already know ##x_5## we can get ##x_2## from eq. 2 and ##x_1## from eq. 1. We are left with the single equation in two unknowns:
[tex] x_4 + x_6 = 1200 [/tex]
The two basic solutions of the system would be obtained by setting ##x_4 = 0## and solving for ##x_6##, or by setting ##x_6 = 0## and solving for ##x_4##.

For more on basic solutions, see, eg.,
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/209655/what-does-basic-solution-mean
or http://crow.academy.ru/algebra/lectures_/lect_11_/lect_11eng.pdf .
See, also, almost any textbook on operations research, which would typically discuss all this in the chapters on linear programming.

Thanks, I would've been staring at that problem for hours

Related to Solving a matrix of ones and zeros

1. How do you solve a matrix of ones and zeros?

To solve a matrix of ones and zeros, first identify the rows and columns that have all ones or all zeros. These rows and columns can be used as a starting point for solving the matrix. Then, use various methods such as row operations, column operations, and determinants to simplify the matrix and eventually solve it.

2. What are some common strategies for solving a matrix of ones and zeros?

Some common strategies for solving a matrix of ones and zeros include using Gaussian elimination, finding the inverse of the matrix, and using Cramer's rule. These methods involve manipulating the matrix in different ways to reduce it to a simpler form that can be easily solved.

3. Can a matrix of ones and zeros have multiple solutions?

Yes, a matrix of ones and zeros can have multiple solutions. This occurs when there is more than one set of values that satisfies the equations represented by the matrix. This is known as an underdetermined system and can be solved using techniques such as least squares or finding the null space of the matrix.

4. How do you know if a matrix of ones and zeros has no solution?

If a matrix of ones and zeros has no solution, it means that the equations represented by the matrix are inconsistent and cannot be satisfied simultaneously. This can be determined by performing row operations on the matrix and reaching a row of all zeros except for the last column, which contains a non-zero value. This indicates that the system is inconsistent and has no solution.

5. Are there any real-world applications for solving a matrix of ones and zeros?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for solving a matrix of ones and zeros. Some examples include solving systems of linear equations in engineering and physics, optimizing transportation networks, and analyzing genetic data in biology. Matrices are a powerful tool for representing and solving complex systems, and their applications are vast and diverse.