Solving a Logarithmic Spiral Puzzle - Martine

In summary, Martine found the equation for the spiral path and solved for the starting point, radius and angle. She then needed to integrate an equation to find the length of the path.
martine

Homework Statement

a logarithmic spiral is given. The center lies on the x-axis. after a turn of 180 degrees counterclockwise I am 86.23m away from the starting point, after 360 degrees I'm 75.41m away from the start (radius, not along the spiral). Where am I after I walked exactly 3km along the spiral trajectory?

Homework Equations

equation: r=ae^b*theta
starting point corresponds to theta=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Um.. that's my problem. I never really learned how to solve logarithmic calculations. Btw, this is not a homework, but part of a puzzle. I got the numbers from previous steps and found the equation online.

I understand that r=distance from origin, theta = angle with x-axis, a and b some constants. Right. But I don't see any way of working with this this equation or any of the expressions connected to it :blushing: I could need a little push in the right direction.

Thanks a lot,
Martine

Physics news on Phys.org
martine said:

Um.. that's my problem. I never really learned how to solve logarithmic calculations. Btw, this is not a homework, but part of a puzzle. I got the numbers from previous steps and found the equation online.

I understand that r=distance from origin, theta = angle with x-axis, a and b some constants. Right. But I don't see any way of working with this this equation or any of the expressions connected to it :blushing: I could need a little push in the right direction.

Why don't you just write the two equations (with the known values of "r,theta" you have) and divide one equation by the other to eliminate "a" and solve for "b".

Hint1: "b" is negative in this case.

After you solve for the parameters "a" and "b" you then have to work out how to find the length of a path along the spiral.

Hint2: [itex] dl = \left( \sqrt{r^2 + \left( dr/d\theta \right)^2} \right) d\theta [/itex]

You say "180 degrees" and "360 degrees" but radian measure should be use here.
when [itex]\theta= \pi[/itex], r= 86.23 so [itex]86.23= ae^{b\pi}[/itex]. When [itex]\theta= 2\pi[/itex], r= 75.42 so [itex]75.41= ae^{2b\pi}[/itex]. As uart says, dividing one equation by the other will cancel the 'a's leaving
[tex]\frac{75.41}{86.23}= \frac{e^{2b\pi}}{e^{b\pi}}= e^{b\pi}[/tex]
that is easy to solve for b. Then use that value of b with either of the first equations to find a.

For the final problem you will need to integrate the "differential of arc length" that uart gave from 0 to [itex]\theta[/itex] and set it equal to 3000 to solve for [itex]\theta[/itex].

Related to Solving a Logarithmic Spiral Puzzle - Martine

1. What is a logarithmic spiral puzzle?

A logarithmic spiral puzzle is a type of jigsaw puzzle that follows the shape of a logarithmic spiral. This spiral is a mathematical curve that appears frequently in nature, such as in seashells and galaxies.

2. How do you solve a logarithmic spiral puzzle?

To solve a logarithmic spiral puzzle, you must start by identifying the center of the spiral. Then, work your way outwards, matching up the pieces based on color and shape. The pieces will follow the spiral shape, making it easier to assemble.

3. What makes solving a logarithmic spiral puzzle different from a regular puzzle?

Solving a logarithmic spiral puzzle is different from a regular puzzle because the pieces follow a specific spiral shape, rather than a random rectangular or square shape. This adds an extra challenge, but also makes it visually interesting and satisfying once completed.

4. How long does it typically take to solve a logarithmic spiral puzzle?

The time it takes to solve a logarithmic spiral puzzle varies depending on the size and complexity of the puzzle. On average, it can take anywhere from 1-3 hours. However, experienced puzzle solvers may be able to complete it faster.

5. Are there any strategies or tips for solving a logarithmic spiral puzzle?

Yes, there are a few strategies that can help when solving a logarithmic spiral puzzle. One is to start from the center and work your way outwards, rather than starting from the edges. Another is to group similar colors or patterns together to make it easier to match up pieces. Additionally, taking breaks and coming back to the puzzle with fresh eyes can also be helpful.