Solving a Logarithm Problem with Given Logs: Step-by-Step Guide

• MHB
  • Thread starter Alaba27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
In summary, a logarithm is the inverse function of exponentiation and helps solve for the exponent in an exponential equation. To solve a logarithm problem, you need to identify the base, use logarithm rules to simplify, and then solve using exponentiation. Common logarithm rules involve products, quotients, and powers. To check if your answer is correct, you can plug it back into the original equation or use a calculator. Logarithms can be used in various real-world applications, such as measuring earthquakes, calculating pH levels, and modeling population growth. They are also useful in finance, computer science, and engineering.
Alaba27
If log[a]x=5 and log[a]y=8, solve:

log[a]((ax2)/(√y))-2

---------

I am completely lost. I've tried some ways of doing this question but I can't get past the second and third steps. This is one of the last questions in my homework and I do not have a step-by-step solutions manual, only the final answer which would be useless because I will have no idea how to get there. Can someone please give me a step-by-step solution? Please and thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Alaba27 said:
If log[a]x=5 and log[a]y=8, solve:

log[a]((ax2)/(√y))-2

---------

I am completely lost. I've tried some ways of doing this question but I can't get past the second and third steps. This is one of the last questions in my homework and I do not have a step-by-step solutions manual, only the final answer which would be useless because I will have no idea how to get there. Can someone please give me a step-by-step solution? Please and thanks!

Welcome to MHB, Alaba27! :)

There are a couple of calculation rules for logarithms.

In particular:
$$\log_a p^q = q \log_a p \\
\log_a pq = \log_a p + \log_a q \\
\log_a \frac p q = \log_a p - \log_a q \\
\sqrt{p} = p^{1/2}$$
Can you apply those?

You might need to use :

\(\displaystyle \log_a a = 1\)

I just don't understand how to use those formulas with this kind of the question. None of the other questions in my homework are in that format and it's extremely confusing. This is what it looks like.

View attachment 730

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 48
I got the solution! After multiple attempts and help from others I got this:

= (ax2/y1/2)-2
= (a-2[x2]-2)/([y1/2]-2
= (a-2x-4)/(y-1)
= y/a2x4

loga(y/a2x4) = -2[loga(a) + 2loga(x) – 1/2loga(y)]

= -2 -4loga(x) + loga(y)
= -2 – 4(5) + 8
= -2 – 20 + 8
= -14

Yes, good work! (Yes)

For the benefit of other students who may read this topic, I will write out a solution method using $\LaTeX$:

If \(\displaystyle \log_a(x)=5\) and \(\displaystyle \log_a(y)=8\), find the value of \(\displaystyle \log_a\left(\left(\frac{ax^2}{\sqrt{y}} \right)^{-2} \right)\).

\(\displaystyle \log_a\left(\left(\frac{ax^2}{\sqrt{y}} \right)^{-2} \right)=-2\log_a\left(\frac{ax^2}{\sqrt{y}} \right)=\)

\(\displaystyle -2\left(\log_a(ax^2)-\log_a(\sqrt{y}) \right)=-2\left(\log_a(a)+\log_a(x^2)-\log_a(y^{\frac{1}{2}}) \right)=\)

\(\displaystyle -2\left(1+2\log_a(x)-\frac{1}{2}\log_a(y) \right)=-2\left(1+2\cdot5-\frac{1}{2}\cdot8 \right)=-2\left(1+10-4 \right)=-2(7)=-14\)

Related to Solving a Logarithm Problem with Given Logs: Step-by-Step Guide

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse function of exponentiation. It tells us what power we need to raise a given base number to in order to get a certain result. In other words, it helps us solve for the exponent in an exponential equation.

2. How do I solve a logarithm problem?

To solve a logarithm problem, you first need to identify the base of the logarithm. Then, you can use the logarithm rules to simplify the problem. Finally, you can solve for the variable by using the inverse of the logarithm function, which is exponentiation.

3. What are the common logarithm rules?

The common logarithm rules are:

• The logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of each factor.
  • The logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the numerator and denominator.
  • The logarithm of a power is equal to the exponent multiplied by the logarithm of the base.

4. How do I know if my answer to a logarithm problem is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original logarithm equation and seeing if it results in the same value as the given one. You can also use a calculator to verify your answer.

5. Can logarithms be used in real-world applications?

Yes, logarithms have many real-world applications, such as in measuring the intensity of earthquakes, calculating pH levels in chemistry, and modeling population growth. They are also commonly used in finance, computer science, and engineering.