Logarithm + Nepper's number Exercise

In summary, the author is trying to solve an equation but is having trouble. They use the exponential to convert to logarithmic form and then use $\LaTeX$ to display their code.
Velo
" Solve the equation:

2e^(-x) = 3e^(0.1x) "

I've been fiddling around with this and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. I know the final answer should be something like:
x = [(2/3)log e] / 1,1

The only step I've managed to do was:
(2/3) x e^(-x) = e^(0.1x)

But after that, I don't know how to get the x out of the exponential.. Help would be appreciated :')

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We are given to solve:

\(\displaystyle 2e^{-x}=3e^{0.1x}\)

My first step would be to multiply though by $e^x\ne0$ to get:

\(\displaystyle 2=3e^{1.1x}\)

Now divide though by 3:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2}{3}=e^{1.1x}\)

Next, what do you get when converting from exponential to logarithmic form?

Hm...

1.1x = log e ^ (2/3) <=>
x = [log e ^ (2/3)]/1.1 <=>
x = [(2/3) log e]/1.1

Which was the solution :eek: Is that right? Also, sorry, I'm having trouble using the latex thingy ><

Velo said:
Hm...

1.1x = log e ^ (2/3) <=>
x = [log e ^ (2/3)]/1.1 <=>
x = [(2/3) log e]/1.1

Which was the solution :eek: Is that right? Also, sorry, I'm having trouble using the latex thingy ><

Let's go back to:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2}{3}=e^{1.1x}\)

Now recall that:

\(\displaystyle a=b^c\implies c=\log_b(a)\)

And so we may write:

\(\displaystyle 1.1x=\ln\left(\frac{2}{3}\right)\)

And then on dividing though by 1.1, we get:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{\ln\left(\dfrac{2}{3}\right)}{1.1}\)

To use $\LaTeX$, you need to enclose your code with tags. The simplest way is to click the $\Sigma$ button on our toolbar, and then the cursor will be located in between the resulting [MATH][/MATH] tags, and you can add your code there. You will find most symbols/commands you need to the right of the editor, in the "Quick $\LaTeX$" tool, and you can get quick previews of your code in our "$\LaTeX$ Live Preview" tool.

Ohhh, I get it now.. I read the book wrong too :') The solution had \(\displaystyle \log_e(\frac{2}{3}) \) and not \(\displaystyle \log(\frac{2}{3})\).. I spent so much time wondering where that log had come from :') I tried redoing that exercise and the next in my notebook and I'm doing alright now x3 Thank you very much! :D

Related to Logarithm + Nepper's number Exercise

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the inverse relationship of exponentiation. It is used to solve exponential equations and represents the power to which a base number must be raised to equal a given number.

2. What is Nepper's number?

Nepper's number, also known as the natural logarithm or Euler's number, is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828. It is denoted by the letter "e" and is an important number in many areas of mathematics and science.

3. How do you solve an exercise involving logarithms and Nepper's number?

To solve an exercise involving logarithms and Nepper's number, you first need to understand the properties of logarithms and how they interact with Nepper's number. Then, you can use algebraic techniques to isolate the variable and solve for its value.

4. What are some real-life applications of logarithms and Nepper's number?

Logarithms and Nepper's number have many practical applications in fields such as finance, biology, and physics. They are used to model exponential growth and decay, measure the loudness of sound, and calculate interest rates, among many other uses.

5. Are there any tips for mastering logarithms and Nepper's number exercises?

Yes, some tips for mastering logarithms and Nepper's number exercises include practicing regularly, understanding the properties and rules of logarithms, and using a calculator to check your answers. It is also helpful to seek out additional resources or ask for help if you are struggling with a particular concept.