Solving a Line Integral: Finding the Value of \int -2y dx + x^2 dy

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a line integral and finding the value of a specific integral over a circle. The speaker suggests converting coordinates and using Green's theorem to make the integration easier. They also clarify that the notation f(x)dx + g(y)dy is different from [f(y) - i g(x)] dz.
jero
Hello all,

I am trying to solve a line integral:

Find the value of \int -2y dx + x^2 dy over the circle x^2 + y^2 = 9

as you can see, this is a line integral, and I am trying to figure a quick way how it should be solved.
I thought of converting coordinates to (sint,cost) which will end up as a trigonometric function which needs to be integrated, but I believe there is a much easier way which I am not sure about.

Also, I am not sure what is the notation f(y) dx + g(x) dy stands for.
Is it the same as [f(y) - i g(x)] dz?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
jero said:
...but I believe there is a much easier way which I am not sure about.

Convert it to a area integral using Green's theorem, which relates a double integral over a region to a line integral over the boundary of the region. The integration becomes very easy.

f(x)dx + g(y)dy is not the same as [f(y) - i g(x)] dz. The latter is a complex function whereas the former is not.

Related to Solving a Line Integral: Finding the Value of \int -2y dx + x^2 dy

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral in multivariable calculus that involves integrating a function along a curve in two or three dimensions. It is used to calculate the amount of a quantity that flows along a given path.

2. How do you solve a line integral?

To solve a line integral, you first need to parameterize the curve along which the integral is being calculated. This means expressing the x and y coordinates of the curve in terms of a single variable, typically t. Then, you can plug this parameterization into the integral and evaluate it using standard integration techniques.

3. What is the value of \int -2y dx + x^2 dy?

The value of this line integral depends on the specific curve that it is being calculated along. Without knowing the curve, it is impossible to determine the exact value of the integral.

4. What is the significance of the -2y dx and x^2 dy terms?

The -2y dx and x^2 dy terms represent the components of a vector field. In a line integral, the components of the vector field are multiplied by the corresponding components of the curve's tangent vector. This allows the integral to take into account both the magnitude and direction of the vector field along the curve.

5. Can line integrals be used in real-world applications?

Yes, line integrals have many real-world applications, especially in physics and engineering. They can be used to calculate work done by a force, flux through a surface, and many other important quantities. In fact, many real-world problems can be translated into line integrals and solved using this method.