Solving a Frobenius Equation: Finding a Regular Point at x = 0

In summary, the conversation is about using the method of Frobenius to solve an equation involving a singular point at x=0. The problem is that the coefficients for r≥2 depend on either a0 or a1, and because this is a "regular singular point," the standard power series cannot be used and the method of Frobenius must be used instead.
01jbell
hey i am stuck on this question for my ode course its using frobunius

4. show that the equation

yii + 1/x yi + (1-1/(4*x^2))y = 0

has a regual point at x=0
using the method of frobenius assuming a solution of the form

y=[tex]\sum[/tex] ar xc+r

show that the idical equation is c^2=1/4

thanks for nay help given

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you managed so far?

i have proved that x=0 is a singular point and i rearanged the ode to get

x^2 yii + x y^i + x^2 y -1/4 y =0

however trying to work out coeff of xr , xr+1 etc etc is the probelm because i get

a0*(r^2-0.25) = 0
a1*{(r+1.5)*(r+0.5)}=0

and i thought u would have ot get a a0 in the equation for a1

The r's in your equations should be c's, but otherwise they look okay.

If you solve for the coefficients for r≥2, you'll see they depend on the either a0 or a1.

Because this 0 is a "regular singular point" for this problem, you cannot use the standard power series. You will have to use "Frobenious' method"- try something of the form
[tex]y= \sum_n a_nx^{n+c}[/tex]

Choose c so that a0 is NOT 0.

Related to Solving a Frobenius Equation: Finding a Regular Point at x = 0

1. How do I solve a Frobenius equation?

To solve a Frobenius equation, you need to first identify it as a second-order linear differential equation with a regular singular point at x = 0. Then, you can use the Frobenius method to find a series solution for the equation.

2. What is a regular point at x = 0?

A regular point at x = 0 refers to a point where the coefficient of the highest derivative term in the differential equation is a non-zero constant. This is a special point that allows us to use the Frobenius method to find a series solution for the equation.

3. Can I use other methods to solve a Frobenius equation?

Yes, there are other methods such as the Power Series method and the Reduction of Order method that can also be used to solve a Frobenius equation. However, the Frobenius method is specifically used when there is a regular singular point at x = 0.

4. What are the steps involved in solving a Frobenius equation?

The steps involved in solving a Frobenius equation are: 1) Identifying the equation as a second-order linear differential equation with a regular singular point at x = 0. 2) Using the Frobenius method to find a series solution for the equation. 3) Determining the radius of convergence of the series solution. 4) Finding the general solution by using the series solution and the method of variation of parameters.

5. Can a Frobenius equation have more than one regular singular point?

Yes, a Frobenius equation can have multiple regular singular points. However, the Frobenius method is specifically used when there is a regular singular point at x = 0. If there are multiple regular singular points, a different method may need to be used to solve the equation.