Solving a Differential Equation with Unit Step Function

In summary, the goal was to find the solution to the differential equation i'' + 2i = f(t) where f(t) is a unit step function. The Laplace transform of i was found to be (e^-10s - e^-20s)/(s(s^2+2)). By inverting this transform and using the shifting theorem, the solution for i was determined to be (1/2)(1-cos(sqrt(2)t)).
icystrike

Homework Statement

Its not homework anyway:
I'm asked to find the solution to the differential equation:

i'' + 2i = f(t)
i'(0)=i(0)=0

f(t) = u(t-10) - u(t-20) Unit step function (I've found in part a of the question)

Then I've gotten:

[tex]\mathscr{L}(i) = \frac{e^{-10s}-e^{-20s}}{s(s^{2}+2)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
icystrike said:

Homework Statement

Its not homework anyway:
I'm asked to find the solution to the differential equation:

i'' + 2i = f(t)
i'(0)=i(0)=0

f(t) = u(t-10) - u(t-20) Unit step function (I've found in part a of the question)

Then I've gotten:

[tex]\mathscr{L}(i) = \frac{e^{-10s}-e^{-20s}}{s(s^{2}+2)}[/tex]

Do you know how to invert

[tex] \frac 1 {s(s^2+2)}[/tex]

by itself? That is what you do then use the shifting theorem with regard to the exponentials.

[tex] \frac 1 {s(s^2+2)}[/tex] ~~> [tex] \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2} sin (\sqrt{2}t) [/tex]

Uhh.. I am not too sure abt the exponential shift as its sum of two exponents instead of just one of them ...

icystrike said:
[tex] \frac 1 {s(s^2+2)}[/tex] ~~> [tex] \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2} sin (\sqrt{2}t) [/tex]

Close but not quite. Are you sure it isn't a cosine form?

Uhh.. I am not too sure abt the exponential shift as its sum of two exponents instead of just one of them ...

Break it into two fractions with the exponentials separated into different numerators and work those.

attachment.php?attachmentid=33726&stc=1&d=1301509859.jpg

The last equation should be f(t) instead of F(s)

Attachments

• Fourier.jpg
    Fourier.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 438

Related to Solving a Differential Equation with Unit Step Function

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical and natural phenomena.

2. What is a unit step function?

A unit step function, also known as the Heaviside function, is a mathematical function that equals 0 for negative input values and 1 for positive input values.

3. How do you solve a differential equation with a unit step function?

To solve a differential equation with a unit step function, you need to first rewrite the equation in terms of the unit step function. Then, you can use the properties of the unit step function, such as shifting and scaling, to simplify the equation and solve for the variable.

4. What are some applications of using unit step functions in solving differential equations?

Unit step functions are often used in physics and engineering to model systems that undergo abrupt changes in behavior at specific points in time. They can also be used in economic and financial models to represent sudden changes in market conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to using unit step functions in solving differential equations?

One limitation of using unit step functions is that they can only represent abrupt changes, not gradual changes. Additionally, the use of unit step functions may not accurately represent real-world phenomena that have more complex or continuous changes in behavior.