Solving a coupled nonhomegenoues ode

In summary, the student attempted to find the general solution to the homework equation ω1(t) = A sin ωt + B cos ωt + C, but was not sure how to solve it. After taking the derivative of equation 1, they realized that μ would disappear when taking the derivative and found an equation in the form ω1(t) = ω2(0) sin ωt + ω2(0) cos ωt. After solving this equation for ω1(t), they realized that ω1(t) = w1(0) cos -λt - [w2(0) + μ/λ] sin -λt.
dawgs1236

Homework Statement

[itex]\dot{ω_{1}}[/itex] = λ[itex]ω_{2}[/itex] +μ
[itex]\dot{ω_{2}}[/itex] = -λ[itex]ω_{1}[/itex]

Homework Equations

λ and μ are real, positive constants
[itex]ω_{1}[/itex](0) ≠ 0
[itex]ω_{2}[/itex](0) ≠ 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the general solution will be in the form
ω1(t) = A sin ωt + B cos ωt + C
ω2(t) = D sin ωt + E cos ωt
but I'm not sure how to solve it

Eqn 2 becomes:
[itex]\ddot{ω_{2}}[/itex] = -λ[itex]\dot{ω_{1}}[/itex]
Substituting equation 1:
[itex]\ddot{ω_{2}}[/itex] = -λ[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]ω_{2}[/itex] +λμ

I'm really just unsure of how to handle the constant when you solve it as a nonhomegenous equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dawgs1236 said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\dot{ω_{1}}[/itex] = λ[itex]ω_{2}[/itex] +μ
[itex]\dot{ω_{2}}[/itex] = -λ[itex]ω_{1}[/itex]

Homework Equations

λ and μ are real, positive constants
[itex]ω_{1}[/itex](0) ≠ 0
[itex]ω_{2}[/itex](0) ≠ 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the general solution will be in the form
ω1(t) = A sin ωt + B cos ωt + C
but I'm not sure how to solve it

Take another derivative of the first equation and substitute the second one into it.

Yeah I know how to do that part. I'm really just not sure what to do about the μ on the end. When I take the derivative it should disappear but I don't think it should.

Well, if it's a constant, then it should...

You can of course take the derivative of the second equation and use the first.

So does μ affect this problem?

the answers I came up with were

[itex]ω_{1}[/itex](t) = [itex]ω_{2}[/itex](0) sin ωt + [itex]ω_{1}[/itex](0) cos ωt
[itex]ω_{2}[/itex](t) = [itex]ω_{1}[/itex](0) sin ωt + [itex]ω_{2}[/itex](0) cos ωt

but these were wrong

Of course they're wrong, there's no evidence of mu and lambda.

dawgs1236 said:
Yeah I know how to do that part. I'm really just not sure what to do about the μ on the end. When I take the derivative it should disappear but I don't think it should.

I think the μ will disappear when you take the derivative. That's ok. Just keep working. It will come back into the solution later. Show your work.

dextercioby said:
Of course they're wrong, there's no evidence of mu and lambda.

Obviously I know they're wrong. Why else would I post this here? I posted it here looking for help with the solution not conformation that I was incorrect.

dawgs1236 said:
Obviously I know they're wrong. Why else would I post this here? I posted it here looking for help with the solution not conformation that I was incorrect.

Can't say why you got incorrect solutions until you show how you got them.

Would it be a good idea to take the second derivative of :
and plug them them into:
ω2¨ = -λ^2ω2 +λμ
and then use the initial conditions?

dawgs1236 said:
Would it be a good idea to take the second derivative of :
and plug them them into:
ω2¨ = -λ^2ω2 +λμ
and then use the initial conditions?

It would be a good idea to say how you got ω2(t) = D sin ωt + E cos ωt. It looks like you are just plugging in a guess for the answer. And the guess is wrong. Why don't you start with the part we agreed on? Solve (ω1)''=(-λ^2ω1).

I did just guess at that.

okay so I set up the characteristic equation and got sqrt(λ) as the answer. would that make it:
ω1(t) = A sin sqrt(λ)t + B cos sqrt(λ)t + C ?

dawgs1236 said:
I did just guess at that.

okay so I set up the characteristic equation and got sqrt(λ) as the answer. would that make it:
ω1(t) = A sin sqrt(λ)t + B cos sqrt(λ)t + C ?

Good, you're getting started. Try to check that, plug it into (ω1)''=(-λ^2ω1). You should realize the the sqrt(λ) isn't quite right. I get a characteristic equation of x+λ^2=0. And does the C really belong there?

Last edited:
Okay so ω=-λ
working that out I came up with:

ω1(t) = w1(0) cos -λt - [w2(0) + μ/λ] sin -λt
ω2(t) = w1(0) sin -λt + [w2(0) + μ/λ] cos (-λt) - μ/λ

dawgs1236 said:
Okay so ω=-λ
working that out I came up with:

ω1(t) = w1(0) cos -λt - [w2(0) + μ/λ] sin -λt
ω2(t) = w1(0) sin -λt + [w2(0) + μ/λ] cos (-λt) - μ/λ

That works. It would maybe look a little nicer if you would get rid of the signs on λ using trig, but it works. You've certainly gotten a lot better at this since your last post.

Last edited:

Related to Solving a coupled nonhomegenoues ode

What is a coupled nonhomogeneous ODE?

A coupled nonhomogeneous ODE is a type of differential equation where there are multiple dependent variables that are not constant and are influenced by external factors.

What is the process for solving a coupled nonhomogeneous ODE?

The process for solving a coupled nonhomogeneous ODE involves using various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and variation of parameters. It also requires finding particular solutions and using initial conditions to determine the general solution.

What are some real-life applications of solving coupled nonhomogeneous ODEs?

Coupled nonhomogeneous ODEs are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model and understand complex systems. They can be used, for example, to predict the behavior of electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and fluid dynamics.

What are some challenges in solving coupled nonhomogeneous ODEs?

One of the main challenges in solving coupled nonhomogeneous ODEs is finding the particular solution, which requires knowledge of the external factors affecting the system. Additionally, the process can become quite complex and time-consuming, especially when dealing with higher-order equations.

Are there any software tools or programs that can assist in solving coupled nonhomogeneous ODEs?

Yes, there are various software tools and programs, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Maple, that can assist in solving coupled nonhomogeneous ODEs. These programs use numerical methods to approximate solutions and allow for easier manipulation and visualization of the equations.