Solving a Capacitance Problem with Current

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a charged capacitor and a sensitive meter. The question asks for the average current registered by the meter when the capacitor is discharged 250 times per second. The experts suggest using the equation C=Q/V and rate of flow to find the average current, which turns out to be 0.54 μC/s.
PhysE
Hi all,

I have been looking at this problem for a while now and can not seem to be able to reach the correct answer, hopefully someone out there can help me!

A capacitor of capacitance 180pF is charged to a P.D of 12V and then discharged through a sensitive meter. This sequence of operations is repeated 250 times per second, what is the average current registered by the meter?

The way I see it, the maximum charge on the capacitor is is 12*(180*10^-12) = 2.16*10^-9. The switch charges and discharged 250 times per second, so in a second the current goes from 0 to 2.16*10^-9 and then back down again to 0. I would therefore assume that the average current is the halfway point, so (2.16*10^-9)/2. Apparently this is not correct and I can not see how to find a valid answer.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Point is the voltage doesn't drop linearly with time during discharge, so you can't take a simple average.

The way to approach this one is to start from what you know and see if you can use it someway. In the template, we have a provision for that: relevant equations. Please use the template. Can you give me (yourself) a relevant equation in this context where C and V are known ?

You have to go back to the "definition" of current.

Thank you for your reply.

The equations know are C=Q/V, I think that is about the only thing I have covered yet with regards to capacitance. The question is what I have posted above and included no additional details. Current is the rate of flow of charge, I am aware that current decays and increases exponentially but I don't believe the question is asking for that much depth, and is possibly just asking for the average current over the whole time period, to be honest I am not to sure what you are getting at with regards to current?

I think you are getting it. You have a charge of 2.16 nC per discharge, so 250 * 2.16 = 0.54 μC per second. The exercise explicitly asks for the average current: 0.54 μC/s !

I missed the relevant equation upon first glancing over, hence the question and the request to use the template. But you did have it.

Likes 1 person
Ahh I see now,

I was getting charge and current confused, and the average charge on the capacitor would be half of maximum charge, but the current would be the rate of flow of this charge which stays constant (or is for the purpose of finding an average).

Thank you very much for your help.

Rate of flow is of course anything but constant: it is proportional to the (rapidly dropping) voltage.
Point is that for the average current you need something like ##\int I \, dt = \int {dQ\over dt}\, dt = Q -Q_0##
So knowing Q=CV and Q0=0 you have the average for one discharge.

Related to Solving a Capacitance Problem with Current

1. How do you calculate capacitance in a circuit?

Capacitance can be calculated by dividing the charge stored in a capacitor by the potential difference across it. This can be represented by the equation C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in Farads (F), Q is the charge in Coulombs (C), and V is the potential difference in Volts (V).

2. What is the relationship between capacitance and current in a circuit?

The relationship between capacitance and current is defined by the equation I = C(dV/dt), where I is the current in Amperes (A), C is the capacitance in Farads (F), and dV/dt is the rate of change of voltage over time in Volts per second (V/s). This equation shows that as the capacitance increases, the current decreases, and vice versa.

3. How can you solve a capacitance problem with current?

To solve a capacitance problem with current, you can use the equation I = C(dV/dt) to calculate the current in the circuit. You will need to know the value of capacitance, the rate of change of voltage, and the direction of current flow. You can also use Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to analyze the circuit and determine the voltage and current values at different points.

4. What are some common applications of capacitance?

Capacitors have many practical applications in electronics and electrical systems. Some common applications include storing energy in flash cameras and other electronic devices, filtering noise in power supplies, and tuning radio frequencies in communication systems. They are also used in timing circuits, power factor correction, and energy storage systems such as batteries.

5. How can you increase the capacitance in a circuit?

To increase the capacitance in a circuit, you can add more capacitors in parallel. This will increase the total capacitance in the circuit. You can also increase the surface area or distance between the plates of a capacitor to increase its capacitance. In addition, using materials with higher dielectric constants can also increase the capacitance in a circuit.