Solving a Bus Direction Change Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses using components and diagrams to solve a problem involving a bus traveling at 65km/h on a bearing of 190°, changing direction to south-east and continuing at the same speed. The solution involves calculating the x and y components before and after the change in direction and using a protractor to draw a diagram in order to accurately determine the change in direction. The conversation also mentions the potential for rounding errors and the importance of practicing drawing vectors and using triangles.
jackscholar

Homework Statement

A bus traveling at 65km/h on a bearing of 190° changes direction to south-east and continues at the same speed. Find the change in velocity of the bus.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm fairly hopeless at drawing the diagrams for these questions so I calculated the x and y components for both before and after the change in direction and i got:
65cos190=-64.01
65sin190=-11.29
65cos135=-45.96
65sin135=45.96
then i substracted vector 1 from vector 2 and got:
x=-45.96+64.01
y=45.96+11.29 (double - is positive)
x=18.05
y=57.25
thus r is √(18.05^2+57.25^2)=60.018
and the change in direction is thus inverse tan(57.25/18.05)=72.5 degrees
Is it viable to get an accurate answer without a diagram? And am I correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is viable to use components to get an answer, but the method intrduces problems that you need to take care of when you use it.

* You need to define your directions formally, in words, and be careful about them. i.e.
... what are the x and y directions here? If +y is due north, and bearing is taken clockwise from due north, then cos(bearing) would be the y component.

If you used a diagram, the diagram provides the definitions as well as a handy reality check.

* You have extra steps to keep track of, with the extra minus signs and rounding errors this implies, providing more opportunity to make mistakes. Mistakes that will be hard to see from just the numbers.

With a protractor, the diagram is easy to draw.
The two vectors are the same length, 190deg is 10deg E of S, and SE is 45deg E of S.
Take the initial vector, reverse it, and put it's tail on the head of the final vector (final minus initial). The resultant goes from tail to head, forming an isosceles triangle with an apex angle of 35deg. The direction of the change, therefore, is easily produced exactly (no rounding needed) off the diagram.

You should practice drawing vectors and using triangles.
The skill becomes more important as you go on.

How do I reverse a vector?

Swap the head and the tail over.

Related to Solving a Bus Direction Change Problem

What is a bus direction change problem?

A bus direction change problem is a mathematical problem that involves determining the direction in which a bus should turn at a given intersection to reach a certain destination.

Why is solving a bus direction change problem important?

Solving a bus direction change problem is important for efficient and safe transportation. It ensures that buses take the most direct and appropriate route to their destination, reducing travel time and minimizing the risk of accidents.

What factors should be considered when solving a bus direction change problem?

There are several factors that should be considered when solving a bus direction change problem, including the current location of the bus, the location of the desired destination, the traffic conditions, and any road closures or detours.

What are some strategies for solving a bus direction change problem?

Some common strategies for solving a bus direction change problem include using a map or GPS system to determine the most efficient route, considering the direction of traffic flow, and factoring in any potential obstacles or delays.

Are there any tools or software available to assist in solving a bus direction change problem?

Yes, there are several tools and software programs available to assist in solving a bus direction change problem, such as route planning software or mapping apps. These tools can help to calculate the most efficient route and provide real-time updates on traffic conditions.