Solving a 3x3 Matrix with Lambda: A Tutorial

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a 3x3 matrix by expanding the determinant along a particular row or column. It also mentions that one of the eigenvalues can be easily determined by looking at the matrix itself.
rugbygirl2

Homework Statement

I am having trouble figuring out lambda for the 3x3, I have only done 2x2.
My matrix:
4 1 4
1 7 1
4 1 4

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that when I add lambda (L) in it looks like
4-L 1 4
1 7-L 1
4 1 4-L

When I do a 2x2, I would just cross multiply as my next step then solve for L values, but I don't know how to do that here. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can expand a determinant along any row or column. For example, expanding along the top row gives:

[tex]\begin{vmatrix} 4-\lambda & 1 & 4 \\ 1 & 7-\lambda & 1 \\ 4 & 1 & 4-\lambda \end{vmatrix} = (4-\lambda) \begin{vmatrix}7-\lambda& 1 \\ 1& 4-\lambda\end{vmatrix}-(1)\begin{vmatrix}1& 1 \\ 4& 4-\lambda \end{vmatrix}+(4)\begin{vmatrix} 1& 7-\lambda \\ 4 & 1 \end{vmatrix}[/tex]

And each of the 2x2 determinants can be found by "cross-multiplication" as usual.

Last edited:
rugbygirl2 said:

Homework Statement

I am having trouble figuring out lambda for the 3x3, I have only done 2x2.
My matrix:
4 1 4
1 7 1
4 1 4

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that when I add lambda (L) in it looks like
4-L 1 4
1 7-L 1
4 1 4-L

When I do a 2x2, I would just cross multiply as my next step then solve for L values, but I don't know how to do that here. Any help would be appreciated!

You can tell immediately just by looking at the matrix that 0 is one of the eigenvalues, with

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{c}
1 \\
0 \\
-1 \end{array}\right][/tex]

a corresponding eigenvector. Can you see why?

Related to Solving a 3x3 Matrix with Lambda: A Tutorial

1. What is a 3x3 matrix?

A 3x3 matrix is a mathematical tool used to represent and manipulate a set of data or equations. It consists of 3 rows and 3 columns, with a total of 9 elements. It is commonly used in linear algebra and can be used to solve systems of equations.

2. What is Lambda in the context of a 3x3 matrix?

Lambda, also known as the eigenvalue, is a scalar value that is associated with a particular matrix. It is often used in solving systems of equations, as it can help determine the unique solutions for a given matrix.

3. How do I solve a 3x3 matrix using Lambda?

To solve a 3x3 matrix using Lambda, you first need to find the eigenvalues of the matrix. This can be done by finding the roots of the characteristic polynomial. Next, you can use these eigenvalues to find the corresponding eigenvectors. Finally, you can use the eigenvectors to form a diagonal matrix, which can then be used to solve the original matrix.

4. What are some applications of solving a 3x3 matrix with Lambda?

Solving a 3x3 matrix with Lambda has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to solve systems of linear equations, model chemical reactions, and analyze data in various fields.

5. Is there a specific method or algorithm for solving a 3x3 matrix with Lambda?

Yes, there are several methods for solving a 3x3 matrix with Lambda, including the power method, the inverse iteration method, and the QR algorithm. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suited for certain types of matrices. It is important to choose the appropriate method based on the characteristics of the matrix being solved.