Solving a 135 N Vertical Force Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 135 N vertical force applied to a bracket held by screws at points B and C. The goal is to replace this force with an equivalent force couple system at point B and find the two horizontal forces at B and C. The solution involves finding the moment of force P about point B and balancing it with an equal and opposite force at C. The horizontal force at B is also calculated using the distance between points B and C. The original problem is then updated to involve a 300N vertical force and different distances, but the poster has solved it on their own.
lilbilly

Homework Statement

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5642/resumestuff004bm5.jpg

A 135 N vertical force P is applied to A to the bracket shown, which is held by screws at B and C. (a) Replace P with an equivalent force couple system at B. (b) Find the two horizontal forces at B and C that are equivalent to the couple obtained in part a.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I tried to find the moment of force P about the hinge and then match that moment with an opposite one by a force at point B...but I really don't know what I'm doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We'd like to help but your diagram is unviewable.

I think the sketch shows a 125 mm outstanding leg length, with the other leg attached with 2 screws 75 mm apart. So what did you get for the moment of Force P about point B? What must be the horizontal force magnitude and direction at point C to balance that moment? And what must be the magnitude and direction of the horizonntal force at point B?

hey guys same question, except the vertical force at p is 300N

the distance from A to the block is 180mm, B to horizontal piece of bracket is 72 mm, and 108 mm from b to c.

21297id.jpg

just read we should show our work, for a i got 54N*m, from 300*0.180m, but I am not sure if this is correct
for part b, i just divided the answers by the respective distances and got 750n and 500n

Last edited:
is it possible that both B and C could have the same force of 500N?

Related to Solving a 135 N Vertical Force Problem

1. How do I calculate the vertical force in a given problem?

To calculate the vertical force, you need to know the mass of the object and the acceleration due to gravity. The formula for vertical force is F = mg, where m is the mass and g is the acceleration due to gravity (usually 9.8 m/s²).

2. What are the units for vertical force?

The units for vertical force are typically expressed in Newtons (N) in the International System of Units (SI). In other systems, such as the British system, vertical force may be expressed in pounds (lbs).

3. Can I use the same formula for vertical force in all situations?

The formula for vertical force (F = mg) is valid for most situations, but it may not be accurate in extreme cases such as near black holes or in outer space where the acceleration due to gravity may differ significantly from 9.8 m/s².

4. How do I know if my vertical force calculation is correct?

You can check your calculation by using the formula F = mg and plugging in the values you have for mass and acceleration due to gravity. Make sure to use the correct units for each value. You can also double check your calculations using a calculator or by asking a colleague to review your work.

5. Are there any real-life applications for solving a 135 N vertical force problem?

Yes, there are many real-life applications for solving vertical force problems. For example, engineers use this calculation to determine the weight of materials needed for construction or to design structures that can withstand certain forces. It can also be used in physics experiments and in sports to calculate the force exerted by an athlete on the ground.