Solving 2nd Order ODE: y''+(1/x)y'=0

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution to the ODE y'' + (1/x)y' = 0. The suggested method is to multiply both sides by e^{\int^x_{x_0} a(t)dt} and use the product rule for differentiation to simplify the equation. The resulting equation can be solved by integrating both sides and the final solution is Y = Cln(x) + D, where C and D are constants.
sara_87

Homework Statement

find the general solution to the ODE:
y''+(1/x)y'=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I put this in the following form: y''=-(1/x)y'
integrated both sides: y'=-ln(x)y +C
I think i made a stupid mistake but i can't figure out what it is.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't integrate like that. You can only integrate when you have an ODE of the form y' = f(x), where anything y isn't on the right side.

There is a general solution to ODEs of the form y'' + a(x)y' = 0, and it's probably in your textbook. Hint: multiply both sides by [tex]e^{\int^x_{x_0} a(t)dt}[/tex], and contract by the product rule for differentiation.

why do i have to multiply both sides by that integral?

Because it gives you something you can integrate. You're trying to find y, right? Well, if you multiply both sides by the given function, and note that the derivative of [tex]e^{\int^x_{x_0} a(t)dt}[/tex] is [tex]a(x)e^{\int^x_{x_0} a(t)dt}[/tex], you can use the product rule to write the equation in the form (X y')' = 0, where X is something you need to find yourself (I've given you all the clues you need). You can then conclude that X y' = c, for some constant c, by integrating both sides. You now have an equation that is easily solvable if you know the very basics of differential equations.

ok, so i did this and my working out is:
so the 'a' is 1/x, and integrating this gives lnx so e^ln(x)=x so multiplying the ODE vy x gives:
xY''+Y'=0
so (xY')'=0
integrating both sides gives:
xY'=C (where C is a constant)
integrating again gives:
Y=Cln(x)+D (where D is a constant)
Is this correct?

Related to Solving 2nd Order ODE: y''+(1/x)y'=0

1. What is a 2nd order ODE?

A 2nd order ordinary differential equation (ODE) is a mathematical equation that involves a function of a single independent variable and its first and second derivatives. It is used to model physical phenomena and can be solved to find the value of the function at different points.

2. What is the general solution to the 2nd order ODE y''+(1/x)y'=0?

The general solution to this 2nd order ODE is y=C1*x+C2, where C1 and C2 are arbitrary constants. This can be found by using the method of undetermined coefficients or by solving the characteristic equation.

3. How do you solve a 2nd order ODE with variable coefficients?

To solve a 2nd order ODE with variable coefficients, you can use the method of variation of parameters, where the solution is expressed as a linear combination of two linearly independent solutions of the homogeneous equation. Another method is using power series to find an approximate solution.

4. Can you provide an example of a physical phenomenon modeled by this type of ODE?

This type of ODE can be used to model the motion of a mass on a spring in a vertical position, where the acceleration of the mass is proportional to its displacement from equilibrium. The equation can be written as y''+k/m*y=0, where k is the spring constant and m is the mass.

5. Are there any real-world applications for solving 2nd order ODEs?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for solving 2nd order ODEs. They are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze various phenomena such as population growth, heat transfer, and electrical circuits. They are also used in computer simulations to predict and understand complex systems.