Solving 2D Motion Problems: Where to Start?

In summary, we can solve for the height reached by the ball, the time it is in the air, and the horizontal range of the cannon by using 2D kinematics equations. These equations involve finding the initial horizontal and vertical velocities, and using them to solve for the unknown variables. One helpful approach is to write two headings for horizontal and vertical motion, and then fill in the known numbers into the equations to find the desired quantities. Finding the time of flight is particularly useful as it applies to both the horizontal and vertical components.
creativeone
A cannon barrel is elevated at an angle of 45°. It fires a ball with a speed of 283 m/s. (For the following questions, ignore air resistance.)

(a) What height does the ball reach?
(b) How long is the ball in the air?
(c) What is the horizontal range of the cannon?

Known 2D kinematics equations

No idea how to start. Help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think after doing the other two problems you will have a better understanding of how to do this one.
Let me know if you still need help with this one after.
Hint:
[itex] v_{x0} = v_0 cos( \theta ) [/itex]
[itex] v_{y0} = v_0 sin( \theta ) [/itex]

In grade 11 we do all these 2D motion problems by writing two headings: horizontal and vertical. Then write the formulas you have for the constant speed motion horizontally and the accelerated motion you have vertically. Next, put the known numbers in every formula. Hopefully one of the 3 or 4 formulas can be solved to find something. Finding the time of flight would be really nice because it applies to both the horizontal and vertical parts.

Related to Solving 2D Motion Problems: Where to Start?

1. What is the first step to take when you have no idea how to start a project?

The first step is to identify the goal or objective of the project. This will help you determine what needs to be done and how to approach the project.

2. How can I brainstorm ideas when I have no idea how to start a project?

One way to brainstorm ideas is to write down all the possible ideas that come to mind, even if they seem unrealistic or unrelated. Then, narrow down the list by considering the feasibility, resources needed, and potential outcomes of each idea.

3. What should I do when I feel overwhelmed and have no idea how to start a project?

Take a step back and break down the project into smaller, manageable tasks. Prioritize these tasks based on importance and urgency. This will help you focus on one task at a time and make progress towards the project's completion.

4. How can I get input or guidance when I have no idea how to start a project?

Reach out to colleagues, mentors, or experts who have experience with similar projects. They can provide valuable insights and advice on how to get started and overcome any challenges that may arise.

5. Is it okay to ask for help when I have no idea how to start a project?

Absolutely! Asking for help is not a sign of weakness, but rather a way to gather different perspectives and approaches. It can also save you time and effort in the long run. Don't be afraid to reach out for assistance when needed.