Solving 2-D Vector Problems: Darryl's Distance & Displacement

• Thread starter -Dragoon-
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with understanding vectors and how to calculate distance and displacement. The conversation also includes a description of the attempt to solve the problem and clarification on directional notation. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with a confirmation of correct methodology and appreciation for the help provided.
-Dragoon-
Hey guys, it's me again!

Vectors have been really giving me a problem and turning me off from physics, but I hope I am getting the hang of it now.

Homework Statement

Darryl drives his load of tomatoes 14.0 km [E], 6.0 km [N], 12.0 km [ N 15° E], and then 2.0 km [N 65° E]. This takes him 42 minutes. Calculate Darryl's distance and displacement.
a) Calculate Darryl's distance and displacement. Draw a diagram and show your work.
b) Calculate Darryl's average speed and average velocity (record your answer in m/s).

Homework Equations

Magnitude * cosΘ = adjacent.
Magnitude * sinΘ = opposite.
C^2 = a^2 + b^2

The Attempt at a Solution

What I first did was break the 12.0 [ N 15° E] into components and found by using sine and cosine law that it was 14.7 km [E] and 3.1 km [N]. Then I broke down 2.0 km [N 65° E] into components and using the same method above I broke it down to 1 km [E] and 1.7 km [N]. Now that all my vectors are either parallel or anti-parallel, I added or subtracted where appropriate. I ended up with a total value of 29.7 km [E] and 10.8 km [N]. I drew these and then drew the resultant vector and found it's magnitude by using pythagorean theorem. Then I found the angle by using the tangent function. I ended up with 31.6 km [E 20° N] as the total displacement. Is this correct? Did I do it right How would I calculate Darryl's distance?

And for part b, to find the average speed would just be: total distance/total time and for average velocity: total displacement/total time, correct?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your general methodology looks to be okay. You might want to check out that first vector decomposition; the components of a vector should never be larger than the magnitude of the vector itself. You might also want to state your understanding of the directional notation (i.e., what does 12.0 [N 15° E] look like when you draw it? Where does the 15° angle sit?).

gneill said:
Your general methodology looks to be okay. You might want to check out that first vector decomposition; the components of a vector should never be larger than the magnitude of the vector itself. You might also want to state your understanding of the directional notation (i.e., what does 12.0 [N 15° E] look like when you draw it? Where does the 15° angle sit?).

Ah, I see where I made a mistake. 11.6 km rather than 14.7 km. The [N 15° E] is 15 degrees east of North. Why was there a problem in the direction of my resultant vector? That is the only thing I seem to struggle with, on how to determine the direction of the resultant vector. After I drew the resultant vector and made the triangle with the previous miscalculations ( 29.7 km [E] as the adjacent and 10.8 km [N]) then I would determine the direction of the resultant like that (which was pointing in the north-eastern direction). Am I doing this correctly? Thanks for all the help.

Draw a set of axes. Label the +Y direction N, the +X direction E, etc.

Your 12.0 [N 15° E] vector would be represented by a line of length 12 units and making an angle of 15° with the +Y axis. Note that the angle is *not* with respect to the x-axis. So consider carefully how you would determine the x and y components of that vector.

gneill said:
Draw a set of axes. Label the +Y direction N, the +X direction E, etc.

Your 12.0 [N 15° E] vector would be represented by a line of length 12 units and making an angle of 15° with the +Y axis. Note that the angle is *not* with respect to the x-axis. So consider carefully how you would determine the x and y components of that vector.
Okay, I think that is how I drew it in the first place being the angle was 15° east of North. I drew it with respect to the Y-axis. So, after I were to break down all the components, add and subtract when necessary and draw the resultant with the total distances traveled in each direction, and find the angle of the resultant it still be [N __° E], right?

Retribution said:
Okay, I think that is how I drew it in the first place being the angle was 15° east of North. I drew it with respect to the Y-axis. So, after I were to break down all the components, add and subtract when necessary and draw the resultant with the total distances traveled in each direction, and find the angle of the resultant it still be [N __° E], right?

You'll have to decide which axis the resultant lies closest to, then specify how many degrees away from it it is.

gneill said:
You'll have to decide which axis the resultant lies closest to, then specify how many degrees away from it it is.
Alright, thanks for all the help. Appreciate it. :biggrin:

Related to Solving 2-D Vector Problems: Darryl's Distance & Displacement

1. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object from its starting point to its ending point, regardless of the direction. Displacement is the straight-line distance between the starting point and the current position of the object, taking into account the direction of movement.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a 2-D vector?

The magnitude of a 2-D vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components (magnitude = √(x² + y²)).

3. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive axis. This indicates that the object has moved in the opposite direction of its starting point.

4. How do you find the direction of a 2-D vector?

The direction of a 2-D vector can be found using the inverse tangent function (tan⁻¹) of the ratio of its y-component to its x-component. This will give the angle in degrees or radians, depending on the calculator.

5. What is the importance of solving 2-D vector problems?

Solving 2-D vector problems is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics, physics, and navigation. It allows us to accurately describe and predict the motion of objects in two-dimensional space, which is essential in understanding and solving real-world problems.