Solve Darryl's 2-D Vector Problem: Distance & Displacement

• Thread starter stephmaep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, Darryl drives his load of tomatoes 14.0 km [E], 6.0 km [N], 12.0 km [ N 15° E], and then 2.0 km [N 65° E] and displaces 171.4 m in the process. His average speed is 18.4 m/s and his average velocity is 10.91 m/s.
stephmaep

Homework Statement

Darryl drives his load of tomatoes 14.0 km [E], 6.0 km [N], 12.0 km [ N 15° E], and then 2.0 km [N 65° E]. This takes him 42 minutes. Calculate Darryl's distance and displacement.
a) Calculate Darryl's distance and displacement. Draw a diagram and show your work.
b) Calculate Darryl's average speed and average velocity (record your answer in m/s).

Homework Equations

tan∅=opposite/adjacent
C^2 = a^2 + b^2
c(squared)=a(squared) +b(squared)=2abcos∅

The Attempt at a Solution

so I've tried drawing this and it seems that i have 2 triangles. so i tried to solve for Δd on the first triangle using the cosine law. to get the angle i used Tan
tan∅=6km/14km=23°
= 6(squared)+14(squared)-2(6)(14)cos23°
=8.7km
[second triangle]
tan∅=2km/12km = 9.4°
=2(squared)+12(squared)-2(12)(2)cos9°
=100.5km

so then i figured add them together and my Δd = 109.2 km

now honestly this just doesn't seem right to me at all I'm not sure how i should be approaching this but I'm getting really flustered cause I'm completely stumped by vectors right now and it's starting to turn me away from physics.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since motion is in two directions, I would use the two vectors Dx and Dy. I would also set up the coordinate system such that the starting point was at the origin and that north is the +y direction, and east is the +x direction.

Now to address the problem, in part a) I believe distance to be the amount he traveled (although honestly I may be wrong here, I can't seem to remember these terms right now). So since this only takes into account the scalar part of his movement, you can add all of the distances he traveled and get the distance he traveled, which in this case is 14 + 6 + 12 +2 = 34km.

The displacement is a bit tougher, as this is comparing where he ended to where he started. This is where the vector math comes in handy.
Starting with the first segment of his journey, 14.0 km [E], you can note that this motion is directly east, and only effects his displacement along the x-axis. Therefore you add 14 to Dx and make its value 14. Dy is still 0 because he hasn't moved north or south yet.
Next, he travels 6.0 km [N], which leads me to add 6 to the variable Dy. Now Dx is 14 and Dy is 6.
To handle the 12.0 km [ N 15° E] step, you need to break it up into north and east components. If you draw a triangle with its right angle in the top left, its two legs parallel with the x and y axis', and the hypotenuse being 12, you can note that the distance along the horizontal leg to be 12sin(15), and the distance along the vertical leg to be 12cos(15). Therefore you can say that Dx = 14 + 12sin(15) and Dy = 6 + 12cos(15)

From here you do a similar process with the last segment of his travel, and then once you have a final value of Dx and Dy you can make one large triangle, with Dx being the bottom leg and Dy being the right leg, and from this triangle you can solve for the hypotenuse (displacement) and the angle of this displacement.

Does this help at all? I can attempt to explain it differently of upload a few pictures if what I'm saying isn't making sense. Hopefully this addresses some of the issues you are having with vectors at least.

okay wow did that ever help !
i think i finally figured it out.
after doing what you said i had Dy = 18.4 and Dx = 10.91
then i used c^2 = a^2+b^2 - 2abCocC
= 11^2+18^2-2(11)(18)cos90degrees
= 21.09
then to find the angle i used sine
sinB/b = sinC/c
sin(angle)/18=sin90/22
angle = 54.9 degrees
so then darryls displacement would be 21km, 55 degrees east of north.
then converted into metres of course which would be 171.4m 55 degrees east of north.

or should i have just done c(squared)=a(squared)+b(squared) which would have been 11^2 + 18^2 = c^2 which still equals 21.09km

and maybe for the angle i should have just used tan∅= 18/11 = 58°

i may be wrong but this is what I've come up with hopefull I'm on the right track now

Last edited:
for the average speed and velocity i did

Vav→ = 171.4m[N55°E] / 42mins (2520sec) = 0.068m/s [N55°E] or 4.08m/m
metres per minute make more sense to me but it wants metres per second right but for the next part seconds just didn't seem to produce a correct answer

Vav = 4.08m[N55°E]/ 42mins (2520sec) = 0.097 m/m or 0.0016m/s

im a tad bit confused as those don't seem correct

Avg speed = distance/time

(6000 m + 12,000 m + 2000 m)/(42 min * (60 s/min))

Make sense?

okay well my total distance was 34km and total time was 42mins
so that was 0.809 km/min which would be 13.48m/s

stephmaep said:
okay well my total distance was 34km and total time was 42mins
so that was 0.809 km/min which would be 13.48m/s

Yeah that sounds good. I totally didn't see that first distance of 14 km when I read the problem before! Hence why it was missing from my example above. :wink:

For average velocity, you need to use displacement rather than distance.

Related to Solve Darryl's 2-D Vector Problem: Distance & Displacement

1. What is the difference between distance and displacement in Darryl's 2-D vector problem?

In Darryl's 2-D vector problem, distance refers to the actual length of the path traveled from the initial point to the final point, while displacement refers to the straight line distance from the initial point to the final point. This means that distance can be longer than displacement if the path traveled is not a straight line.

2. How can I calculate the magnitude of the vector in Darryl's 2-D vector problem?

The magnitude of a vector in Darryl's 2-D vector problem can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squared components of the vector. In this case, the x and y components represent the horizontal and vertical distances, respectively.

3. What is the unit of measurement for distance and displacement in Darryl's 2-D vector problem?

The unit of measurement for distance and displacement in Darryl's 2-D vector problem will depend on the unit used for the x and y components. For example, if the x and y components are measured in meters, then distance and displacement will also be measured in meters.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate distance and displacement for any 2-D vector problem?

Yes, the formula for calculating distance and displacement in Darryl's 2-D vector problem can be applied to any 2-D vector problem, as long as the x and y components are known.

5. Is it possible for the distance and displacement to be equal in Darryl's 2-D vector problem?

Yes, it is possible for the distance and displacement to be equal in Darryl's 2-D vector problem. This would occur when the path traveled is a straight line from the initial point to the final point, resulting in the same length for both the distance and displacement.