Solving 1D Quantum Mechanics Homework for Square Well w/ Infinite Wall

In summary, for a given square well with an infinite wall at x=0 and a wall height of U for x>L, when E<U, the solutions to the Schrodinger equation inside and beyond x>L must satisfy boundary conditions of x=0 and x=\infty. To find the allowable energies of the system, one must consider conditions at x=L and solve for the wavefunction in both regions, smoothly joining the solutions at x=L. This involves setting ψ(L-)=ψ(L+) and ψ'(L-)=ψ'(L+).
loobloke

Homework Statement

Given a square well,
Infinite wall at x=0
Wall height U for x>L

For E<U, find solutions to the schrondinger equation inside the well, and beyond x>L which satisy boundary conditions for x=0 and x=[tex]\infty[/tex]

Taking conditions at x=L, find the allowable energies of the system.

Homework Equations

Schrondinger equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Know U=0 inside the well, 0<x<L.

Conditions we get are, (I can't find the wavefunction symbol, Y looks the closest.)
x is continuous at 0, hence Y(0)=0

What condition do I need at x=L? Or am I completely missing the plot.

Do I need to do another condition at x=[tex]\infty[/tex]?
Ie, there are two solutions? One inside the well and one outside?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there are two solutions. You need to solve the SE in both regions and then join the solutions smoothly at x=L, i.e., ψ(L-)=ψ(L+) and ψ'(L-)=ψ'(L+).

Related to Solving 1D Quantum Mechanics Homework for Square Well w/ Infinite Wall

1. What is 1D quantum mechanics?

1D quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles in one-dimensional systems, where the position and momentum of a particle are described by a wave function.

2. What is a square well with an infinite wall?

A square well with an infinite wall is a potential energy function that describes a confined particle in a one-dimensional system. The well has a finite depth and extends infinitely in both directions, creating a square-shaped potential.

3. How is the energy of a particle in a square well with infinite wall calculated?

The energy of a particle in a square well with infinite wall is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the kinetic and potential energy of the particle. The solutions to this equation give the allowed energy levels of the particle in the well.

4. What is the significance of the energy levels in a square well with infinite wall?

The energy levels in a square well with infinite wall represent the quantized energy states of the confined particle. These energy levels determine the behavior and properties of the particle, such as its probability of being found at a certain position or its momentum.

5. How does the solution to the Schrödinger equation for a square well with infinite wall differ from a finite well?

The solution to the Schrödinger equation for a square well with infinite wall results in a discrete set of energy levels, while a finite well can have a continuous spectrum of energy levels. Additionally, the wave function for an infinite well has a well-defined shape within the boundaries of the well, while the wave function for a finite well can extend beyond its boundaries.