Quantum Mechanics: Outside a (in)Finite Well

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the wavefunction for a 1D finite well and the limiting case of an infinite potential well. It is mentioned that in the case of x<0 and x>L, the wavefunction approaches 0 due to the terms with constants C and D being equal to 0. However, the reasoning behind this is not explicitly stated. It is suggested that this is a possible solution arising from the Schrodinger equation, with C and D being adjusted to meet boundary conditions and ensure normalizability.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Referencing image attached.

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 3.35.11 PM.png

I'm not sure how the example arrived at ψ ⇒ 0 at x<0 and >L as K ⇒ ∞ in the limiting case of an infinite potential well.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried simply applying limits to the wavefuction but in the case x<0, the answer I was arriving at was simply ∞ as the term with constant C approaches 0 and the term with constant D approaches ∞.

I'm also clueless as how ψ ⇒ 0 for x>L.

Can anyone help point out what I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
From the explanation at (b) you see that D = 0 for x < 0 . Idem C = 0 for x > 0.
Why this is so is indeed not mentioned. So: how can they claim that ?

I see it now, thank you for the insight!

BvU said:
Hi,
Why this is so is indeed not mentioned. So: how can they claim that ?

I assume that this is a possible solution arising out of the Schrodinger equation for a 1D finite well, and that C and D are adjusted to ensure that this wavefunction meets boundary conditions? Is this answer somewhat correct?

The wavefunction has to be normalizable. That excludes terms ##e^{+x}## on the far right and ##e^{-x}## on the far left.

Related to Quantum Mechanics: Outside a (in)Finite Well

1. What is a finite well in quantum mechanics?

A finite well in quantum mechanics refers to a potential energy barrier that has a finite width and height. It can be visualized as a well with walls that limit the motion of a particle within it.

2. How does a particle behave inside a finite well in quantum mechanics?

Inside a finite well, the particle's behavior is governed by the Schrödinger equation, which describes the wave-like nature of particles in quantum mechanics. The particle's energy levels and probability of finding it in a particular location can be calculated using this equation.

3. What is the significance of a particle's energy levels in a finite well?

A particle's energy levels in a finite well determine the allowed energy states that it can occupy. These energy levels also affect the particle's behavior and probability of tunneling through the potential barrier.

4. How does the width and height of a finite well affect a particle's behavior?

The width and height of a finite well directly influence a particle's energy levels and probability of tunneling. A wider and taller well will have a higher energy barrier, making it more difficult for the particle to escape or tunnel through.

5. Can a particle escape from a finite well in quantum mechanics?

Yes, a particle can escape from a finite well in quantum mechanics through a process called tunneling. This occurs when the particle's wave function extends beyond the well's boundaries, allowing it to overcome the potential barrier and escape.