Only 47% of 18-29 Yr Olds Knew Answer to D-Day Q - Gallup

• Thread starter DarkAnt
  • Start date
In summary, a conversation about a gallop poll revealed that only 47% of 18-29 year olds knew the answer to the question, "What Country’s Army Did the U.S. and Allied Forces Fight Against During the D-Day Invasion?" This statistic was met with disbelief and speculation that the results may be skewed. However, further discussion revealed that many people are overwhelmed with information and may not prioritize retaining academic knowledge that does not have immediate practical use. This was exemplified by the speaker sharing a personal experience of discovering that two intelligent and informed adults did not know that the moon goes around the earth. Overall, the conversation highlighted the importance of critical thinking and being informed about historical events.
With our current puppet in the White house, I can understand the current sentiments of America as viewed from other lands. But one thing I find ironic is how arrogantly some folks talk about the arrogance of Americans. It just shows how we are quite the same.

Each culture seems to have its own variety of social arrogance. Has anyone tried to stand in line for a Coke machine in Germany? Has anyone been to a restaurant in Scotland? Even in Switzerland, trying to order food in American accented "high" German (not the Swiss dialect) resulted in repeated, quite deliberate presentations of the wrong food and overbilling.

Mind you, at the time it was the Reagan years, and I was not going to the finer establishments. My point is that the US is not the only source of jerks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gokul43201 said:
In 2002, the the National Geographic Society polled Americans aged 18-24, showing them a world map :

30% could not point out the Pacific Ocean

49% could not find New York on the map

70% could not find New Jersey on a US map (more people knew the rough location of the original Survivor Island !)

76% could not find Saudi Arabia

These kinds of statistics are rather sickening aren't they?

What should we expect when the schools are made pseudoparents instead of teaching institutions. As a related thought, I ran into a large group of Boy Scouts at an Air and Space Museum. At one point I was in line and commented to one of the Scoutmasters that I had been a Scout, and I was curious about the current Boy Scout Handbook and what they teach. Obviously frustrated with this notion, he said that a great deal of energy is put into educating the Scouts how to avoid being molested!

I think a little refresher on WWII might help here. An easy read.

http://www.emayzine.com/lectures/WWII.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Allies. Friends who pulled in the same direction to defeat the Nazis. When you minimise your friend's role in something, or exaggerate your own role in something, tempers are bound to flare. I don't understand the statement "The Soviets won the war" anymore than "We (Americans) saved your asses in WWII". It was a team effort, and every major link in that chain of defence was vital. Stop being a cheerleader for your country.

zoobyshoe said:
If it weren't for the USA you'd be posting that in German, don't forget.

Two-thirds of Germany's war effort was expended against the Russians. It is far more accurate to say "If not for the Russians, Americans would be posting in German".

Did the Soviets ever pay back the U.S. on the "Lend/Lease" equipment they were given by the U.S.?

cragwolf said:
Allies. Friends who pulled in the same direction to defeat the Nazis. When you minimise your friend's role in something, or exaggerate your own role in something, tempers are bound to flare.
Actually, it all started when someone's contribution to the discussion was "Americans are stupid." The person who said that later admitted to being drunk.

Now, a day later, I think who did what in WWII is much less the issue than whether or not people should post while drunk.

Last edited:
I think what Mother Russia suffered should be enough to pay back any world debt. Have a nice long read about Stalingrad.

Adam said:
Two-thirds of Germany's war effort was expended against the Russians. It is far more accurate to say "If not for the Russians, Americans would be posting in German".
I don't think so for the reason I mentioned earlier: if we hadn't been able to defeat the Germans with conventional forces, Truman, I'm sure, would have used the bomb on them.

Zoobyshoe, clearly I don't believe that James I rounded up all the stupid people and sent them to the US (he actually sent them to Canada), but it doesn't stop post #15 from being just plain ignorant.

jcsd said:
Zoobyshoe, clearly I don't believe that James I rounded up all the stupid people and sent them to the US (he actually sent them to Canada), but it doesn't stop post #15 from being just plain ignorant.
You are drunk again?

zoobyshoe said:
You are drunk again?

No I rarely drink, but when England win 6-1 I make an exception.

Hmm, I guess if you limit your drinking to when England win you are probably on the verge of teetotality...

jcsd said:
No, it doesn't. The link provided by Evo is informative, and you are correct: given the difficulties an invasion would entail, and unable to cripple the British airforce because of radar, the Germans set their invasion plans aside. So, the specific notion that, if it weren't for us the Germans would have successfully invaded England, is erroneous: Germany got itself balled up invading Russia after the attempt on England.

Well, I understood that jcsd was just joking. Try it, it's fun :)

I watched the D-Day ceremonies this morning and am very disappointed that people are fighting about who owes who. No man is an island.

Make love- or else...!
Rachel
(that was a joke, BTW)

Janitor said:
Did the Soviets ever pay back the U.S. on the "Lend/Lease" equipment they were given by the U.S.?

Yes, in blood.

honestrosewater said:
Try it, it's fun :)
..Try what?

cragwolf said:
Yes, in blood.

exactly what I was saying, but once again, as in real life and e-life when I try to be serious, everyone ignores me.

jimmy p said:
exactly what I was saying, but once again, as in real life and e-life when I try to be serious, everyone ignores me.
I don't know about real life, but a bunch of us participated seriously in your landlord trouble thread. Alot of thoughtful answers in your Gibraltar thread, too.

Last edited:
:-p I know but I was out with "friends" tonight and they told me that they can't take me seriously... anyway if I could remember the name of the author, the book Stalingrad is a really inciteful read..I'll get back to you on that one...

thanx guys for being thoughtful, I wish I could the same... :biggrin:

zoobyshoe said:
..Try what?

Understanding a joke. Do you really think that everything everyone says is either an agreement with you or an attack against you? Because it's beginning to seem that way.?

jimmy p said:

My apologies, I missed it. I won't do it again.

:) nah, I am just playing around craggy... As long as "our" point got across :biggrin:

honestrosewater said:
Understanding a joke.
I understand jokes.

is the book "war of the rats" by any chance?