Solved: Redox, Catalyzed Decomposition Reaction

• Thread starter Soley101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, this reaction is the oxidation of zinc, with the help of chlorine, to form zinc oxide and water. There is no decompositon reaction involved, just a redox reaction.
Soley101
[SOLVED] Quickie; what reaction

I'm trying to find out what type of reaction this is.
a drop of water is added to a small pile of chemicals in a dish, after a few seconds, a blue flame and smoke is produced.

NH4NO3 reacts to form (with chlorine as catalyst) N2O and water

the experiment is called oxidation of zinc, so another equation is Zn and NH4NO3 react to form ZnO and water.

this is definitely a redox reaction right? but is there not a decompostition reaction first that allows the zinc to oxidize? so really, this reaction is oxidation reduction, catlyzed, and decomposition?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ammonium cloride.
Ammonium nitrate.
Zinc.
I have seen this formula before, it is called Negative X.
http://www.unitednuclear.com/negx.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
but is the reaction soley redox, or are the steps different reactions as well.

the drop of water I suspect is only to get the materials in close contact

there seems to be no Cl2 (is a gas) around to promote the decompostion, otherwise it would already make the N2O and water (without the drop of water and the mixture would be wet)

therefore the change in NH4NO3 must be due to the oxidation of Zn

btw there is no NO2 in your 3rd equation

so I would say it is a pure redox reaction with Zn being oxidized to ZnO and the N in NH4NO3 reduced to N2O

Last edited:
hmmm, thanks, ill have to look into decompositon in more detail next time, merci.

de rien

Soley101 said:
I'm trying to find out what type of reaction this is.
a drop of water is added to a small pile of chemicals in a dish, after a few seconds, a blue flame and smoke is produced.

NH4NO3 reacts to form (with chlorine as catalyst) N2O and water

the experiment is called oxidation of zinc, so another equation is Zn and NH4NO3 react to form ZnO and water.

this is definitely a redox reaction right? but is there not a decompostition reaction first that allows the zinc to oxidize? so really, this reaction is oxidation reduction, catlyzed, and decomposition?

1. H2O dissolves the salts forming NH4+ ions which make the solution acid.
2. Zn reacts with NO3- (and probably even with water) now that the solution is acid; the products are Zn++ and NO, N2O, N2 or NH4+, depending on the relative concentrations of Zn and NO3-: NO and N2O when NO3- is in eccess, NH4+ when Zn is in eccess. Also N2O is generated by the heat decomposition of NH4NO3 itself:
NH4NO3 + heat --> N2O + 2H2O.
3. The heat generated in reaction 2. starts the reaction between solid Zn and solid NH4NO3 that now proceeds on its own.
NH4Cl is used as catalist, but I don't know its exact functioning.

Last edited:
It could be that the NH4Cl reacts with the dilute acid to produce HCl. The HNO3 present would react with it producing an http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_regia" type reagent.

Last edited by a moderator:
who new this was so difficult, i am trying to simplify it , thanks for yer help maties.

Related to Solved: Redox, Catalyzed Decomposition Reaction

1. What is a redox reaction?

A redox reaction is a type of chemical reaction in which there is a transfer of electrons between two or more substances. One substance loses electrons (oxidation) while the other substance gains electrons (reduction).

2. What is a catalyzed decomposition reaction?

A catalyzed decomposition reaction is a chemical reaction in which a substance is broken down into smaller substances by the presence of a catalyst, which speeds up the reaction without being consumed itself.

3. What is the role of a catalyst in a decomposition reaction?

A catalyst lowers the activation energy required for a decomposition reaction to occur, making the reaction happen faster. It does this by providing an alternative pathway for the reaction to take place, without being consumed itself.

4. How can a redox reaction be catalyzed?

A redox reaction can be catalyzed by the presence of a substance that can either accept or donate electrons, known as a redox catalyst. This catalyst helps facilitate the transfer of electrons between the reactants, making the reaction occur more quickly.

5. What are some examples of redox, catalyzed decomposition reactions?

Some common examples of redox, catalyzed decomposition reactions include the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen gas, the decomposition of potassium chlorate into potassium chloride and oxygen gas, and the decomposition of hydrogen sulfide into hydrogen and sulfur.