How to choose a reduced or oxidated form in a redox

In summary, the conversation is about studying general chemistry in a physics class. The speaker is struggling with solving exercises involving the solubilization of copper in water, oxidation, and reduction reactions. They propose three possible unbalanced reactions and ask for help in choosing the correct one. The other person clarifies that copper is being oxidized while chromium is being reduced in these reactions. The speaker wonders how to know what a species usually does.
Peppe
Hi guys I'm studying about general chemistry in a physics class.
I've some exercices that I'm unable to solve, stuff like this:Copper can be solubilizated in water, oxidating in Cu++ form, reacting with HCrO4- in an acid environment realized by H2SO4. Write down the balanced reaction.my problem is to write (not to balance) an reduction/oxidation reaction.The copper is oxidating, so cromium or hydrogen have to reduce. I've thought about 3 different reaction.
So, in my proposal, the unbalanced reaction are:

Cu + HCrO4- -> Cu++ + Cr2O3 + H2O
Cu + HCrO4- -> Cu++ + CrO + H2O
Cu + HCrO4- -> CuCrO4 + H2

how to choose the correct one?
ciao!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Cr usually gets reduced to Cr3+ in such situations. You are probably right about copper chromate precipitation.

Please note: copper is not "oxidating", copper is "being oxidized" while chromium is being reduced.

Thanks for the reply :) :) .

But how can i learn what usually a species does? :O

Related to How to choose a reduced or oxidated form in a redox

1. What is the difference between a reduced and oxidized form in a redox reaction?

The reduced form refers to a molecule that has gained electrons, while the oxidized form refers to a molecule that has lost electrons. This exchange of electrons is the basis of a redox reaction.

2. How do I know which form to choose for a redox reaction?

The choice of reduced or oxidized form in a redox reaction depends on the reactants involved. The reactant that is more likely to lose electrons will be in the oxidized form, while the reactant that is more likely to gain electrons will be in the reduced form.

3. Can both forms be used in a redox reaction?

Yes, both forms can be used in a redox reaction. However, it is important to make sure that the number of electrons gained by the reduced form is equal to the number of electrons lost by the oxidized form in order for the reaction to be balanced.

4. How do I determine the oxidation state of a molecule?

The oxidation state of a molecule can be determined by looking at the number of electrons it has gained or lost. If it has gained electrons, the oxidation state is negative, and if it has lost electrons, the oxidation state is positive. In some cases, the oxidation state may also be represented by Roman numerals.

5. What factors influence the stability of the reduced and oxidized forms in a redox reaction?

The stability of the reduced and oxidized forms in a redox reaction is influenced by several factors, including the electronegativity and size of the atoms involved, the strength of the bonds, and the presence of any stabilizing groups or molecules. These factors can affect the ease of electron transfer and the overall energy of the reaction.