Solve Trig Equation with 2 & -Π/6 Inside Brackets

In summary, a trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions and solving it means finding the values of the variables that make it true. To solve a trigonometric equation with 2 and -Π/6 inside brackets, one can use trigonometric identities and properties and then algebraic techniques. Common strategies for solving trigonometric equations include using identities, converting functions, and using algebraic techniques. It is important to check solutions to ensure they are not extraneous.
MironeDagains
http://www5a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP238521i5b83i951f19c3000010ca05be63f0bfc0?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=10&w=219.&h=85.

How do I solve this? I know the answers, as Wolphram Alpha has given me only the answers without any steps to how they derived those answers.
I know that sin(x)=√3/2 x= Π/3 & 2Π/3, and I know that the 2 to the left of the x means that I have to divide my answers by 2, but what about that -Π/6? What do I do with it? I have no clue where to go from here. I saw tons of youtube videos and websites describing how to solve trig equations, but they never talk about ones that have the 2 and -Π/6 inside the brackets!
What do I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Some observations to help you on your way:
  • As you have already observed, [itex]\sin(\frac{\pi}{3})=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} [/itex] and [itex]\sin(\frac{2 \pi}{3})=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} [/itex]. Start with the first, which gives [itex] \sin(2x-\frac{\pi}{6})-\sin(\frac{\pi}{3})=0[/itex], afterwards use the other value.
  • Remember that [itex]\sin(A)-\sin(B) = 2\sin\frac{A-B}{2}\cos\frac{A+B}{2} [/itex]

I do not agree with Svein's approach at all. That is a lot more confusing than it needs to be.

Let's start simple and ignore some of the details for the moment. The most important result that you have to realize is that if [itex]\sin{A}=\sin{B}[/itex] then A=B (not strictly true, but let's come back to that later). This means that if you solve for y in

[tex]\sin(y) = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]

and arrive at the solutions [itex]y=\pi/3, 2\pi/3[/itex] then if you instead have to solve for x in

[tex]\sin(2x-\pi/3)=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]

then you've just replaced y by [itex]2x-\pi/3[/itex] and you'll similarly arrive at the solutions [itex]2x-\pi/3 = \pi/3, 2\pi/3[/itex] which means you have two equations

[tex]2x-\pi/3 = \pi/3[/tex]
and
[tex]2x-\pi/3 = 2\pi/3[/tex]

which you can solve for x quite easily.

Once you've done that, you have to start thinking about the fact that the rule that A=B if [itex]\sin{A}=\sin{B}[/itex] isn't always true, because A and B can be [itex]2\pi[/itex] apart and their sines will still be equal. This will affect your answer because while you may have found all the solutions to y in the domain [itex]-\pi < y < \pi[/itex], it doesn't necessarily mean that you've found all of the solutions for x in the domain [itex]-\pi < x < \pi[/itex] because if you've found all of the solutions for y in that domain, then substituting that for [itex]2x-\pi/3[/itex] means that

[tex]-\pi < 2x-\pi/3 < \pi[/tex]

adding [itex]\pi/3[/itex] throughout

[tex]-2\pi/3 < 2x < 4\pi/3[/tex]

dividing through by 2

[tex]-\pi/3 < x < 2\pi/3[/tex]

So this tells us that we'd find all of the solutions for x in this smaller domain, and it also means that we're likely missing other solutions. What you should then do is get more values for y where [itex]\sin{y}=\sqrt{3}/2[/itex], solve for x and pick the solutions that fall in your required domain.

Related to Solve Trig Equation with 2 & -Π/6 Inside Brackets

What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves one or more trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

What does it mean to "solve" a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation means to find the values of the variables that make the equation true. In other words, it is finding the solutions to the equation.

How do you solve a trigonometric equation with 2 and -Π/6 inside brackets?

To solve a trigonometric equation with 2 and -Π/6 inside brackets, you can use the trigonometric identities and properties to simplify the equation and then use algebraic techniques to solve for the variable.

What are some common strategies for solving trigonometric equations?

Some common strategies for solving trigonometric equations include using trigonometric identities, converting trigonometric functions to their equivalent forms, and using algebraic techniques such as factoring, substitution, and the quadratic formula.

Why is it important to check your solutions when solving trigonometric equations?

It is important to check your solutions when solving trigonometric equations because some solutions may be extraneous, meaning they do not satisfy the original equation. Checking your solutions helps ensure that you have found all the correct solutions to the equation.