Solve Tricky Summation Homework Statement

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation discusses a summation equation and the desire to rewrite it in terms of x-bar, y-bar, and n. The conversation concludes that there is not an easy way to do so.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I have this nasty summation and I am close to finding a way to calculate it with my graphing calculator. I just need to iron out the details. If I can rewrite the summation on terms of [itex]\bar{x}[/itex], [itex]\bar{y}[/itex] and [itex]\sum x_iy_i[/itex] I will be all set. I will explain these terms in a moment. First, here is the sum:

[tex]S_{xy} = \sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - \bar{x})(y_i - \bar{y})[/tex]

Where [itex]x_i[/itex] and [itex]y_i[/itex] are the x and y (sample) averages.

If I do out the multiplication I get [tex]S_{xy} =
\sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - \bar{x})(y_i - \bar{y})[/tex]

[tex] = \sum x_iy_i - x_i\bar{y} - y_i\bar{x} + \bar{x}\bar{y}[/tex]

[tex] = \sum x_iy_i - \bar{y}\sum x_i - \bar{x}\sum y_i +\sum\bar{x}\bar{y}[/tex]

Now I it is just the last term [itex]\sum\bar{x}\bar{y}[/itex] that is bothering me. I think the answer is obvious, but I would like confirmation: is the expression [itex]\sum\bar{x}\bar{y}[/itex] identical to [itex]n*(\bar{x}\bar{y})[/itex] ?It must be. I don't know why I am doubting this. :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes

[tex]\sum\bar{x}\bar{y} = n\bar{x}\bar{y}[/tex]

Also remember that

[tex]\sum x_i = n \bar{x}[/tex]

[tex]\sum y_i = n \bar{y}[/tex]

So what does

[tex]- \bar{y}\sum x_i - \bar{x}\sum y_i +\sum\bar{x}\bar{y}[/tex]

become?

Oh neat. Looks like it reduces to [itex]-n\bar{x}\bar{y}[/itex]

Yes?

Saladsamurai said:
Oh neat. Looks like it reduces to [itex]n\bar{x}\bar{y}[/itex]

Yes?

Yes

Which can also be written as (1/n)∑xi∑yi

I like this. If I could write it all on terms of xbar, ybar, and n, that would be best. I think that the sum(xi*yi) term can be written in terms of these. I'll post back I'm a moment. Thanks again!

Hmmm... I am not seeing an easy way to write [itex]\sum x_iy_i[/itex] in terms of [itex]\bar{x}[/itex], [itex]\bar{x}[/itex], and n. Perhaps there isn't one?

Last edited:
"I am not seeing an easy way to write in terms of [itex] \bar x[/itex], [itex] \bar y [/itex] , and n. Perhaps there isn't one?"

No, there is not.

Related to Solve Tricky Summation Homework Statement

1. What is a summation in mathematics?

A summation, also known as a series, is a mathematical expression that represents the addition of a sequence of numbers. It is denoted by the symbol "Σ" and is often used to find the total value of a set of numbers.

2. How do I solve a tricky summation homework statement?

To solve a tricky summation homework statement, you can use various techniques such as finding a pattern, using formulas, or breaking the problem down into smaller parts. It is important to carefully read and understand the given problem before attempting to solve it.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a summation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a summation include misinterpreting the given problem, using incorrect formulas or techniques, and making calculation errors. It is important to double check your work and make sure you understand the problem before proceeding.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should solve a summation?

No, there is no specific order in which you should solve a summation. However, it is recommended to start by simplifying the expression using basic arithmetic operations, and then using more advanced techniques if needed.

5. How can I check if my solution to a summation is correct?

You can check if your solution to a summation is correct by plugging in the values of the sequence into the original expression and seeing if it equals the same value. You can also use a calculator or online tool to verify your answer.