Solve Track Runner Deceleration Problem

In summary: Remember, you're trying to get something with no a term. In earlier physics, kinematics equations are usually presented "as is" but it will be useful for you to understand how you can move between them to help you solve problems. If you can understand that, you can get away with forgetting one in an exam, as you can derive it at the time.Pick one you think looks right and plug in the information. Have a go and then we'll compare answers ;-)In summary, the car's acceleration was negative.
cerberus9
I reeeeeeeeally need help with thiss. thanks :)

Homework Statement

A track runner finishes a race and begins to slow down in a uniform manner. In 3.50 seconds, she comes to a complete stop, covering 12.0 meters while doing so. What was her speed when she finished the race?

Homework Equations

v=d/t
d=vot+ 1/2 at2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to find the original speed so i did v=d/t
12.0/3.50=3.43 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
cerberus9 said:
I reeeeeeeeally need help with thiss. thanks :)

Homework Statement

A track runner finishes a race and begins to slow down in a uniform manner. In 3.50 seconds, she comes to a complete stop, covering 12.0 meters while doing so. What was her speed when she finished the race?

Homework Equations

v=d/t
d=vot+ 1/2 at2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to find the original speed so i did v=d/t
12.0/3.50=3.43 m/s
The car is retarding. So the acceleration is negative.
Rewrite the relevant equation with negative a.

You are on the right lines with the second formula you posted. Do you know a rearrangement of it? You need to find a formula with initial and final velocities, time and displacement.

You should assume that she stated at rest.

rock.freak667 said:
You should assume that she stated at rest.

but it starts when she finishes the race. so i should have her initial velocity be the speed she finishes the race at, no?

Diode said:
You are on the right lines with the second formula you posted. Do you know a rearrangement of it? You need to find a formula with initial and final velocities, time and displacement.

i don't. >.<

cerberus9 said:
but it starts when she finishes the race. so i should have her initial velocity be the speed she finishes the race at, no?

Correct.

Do you have a textbook with a section on kinematics? Or even have a look here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion#Motion_equation_1"

Remember, you're trying to get something with no a term. In earlier physics, kinematics equations are usually presented "as is" but it will be useful for you to understand how you can move between them to help you solve problems. If you can understand that, you can get away with forgetting one in an exam, as you can derive it at the time.

Pick one you think looks right and plug in the information. Have a go and then we'll compare answers ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solve Track Runner Deceleration Problem

1. What is the "Track Runner Deceleration Problem"?

The "Track Runner Deceleration Problem" refers to the issue of a runner losing speed or slowing down during a race. This can happen due to various factors such as fatigue, improper pacing, or poor form.

2. How can this problem be solved?

To solve the "Track Runner Deceleration Problem", a combination of training, strategy, and technique can be used. This includes building endurance and strength through specific workouts, developing a proper race pacing plan, and improving running form.

3. Are there any specific techniques or strategies that can help prevent deceleration?

Yes, there are various techniques that can help prevent deceleration during a race. Some of these include maintaining a consistent pace, using proper breathing techniques, and focusing on maintaining good form, especially during the later stages of the race.

4. Can nutrition play a role in preventing deceleration?

Absolutely. Proper nutrition can help maintain energy levels and delay fatigue, which can prevent deceleration during a race. It is important for runners to have a well-balanced diet with enough carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats to support their training and racing.

5. Is it common for track runners to experience deceleration during races?

Yes, it is common for track runners to experience deceleration during races, especially in longer distances. However, with proper training and race strategies, it is possible to minimize the impact of deceleration and improve overall race performance.