Solve this 3rd Order Differential Equation

In summary, a 3rd order differential equation is an equation involving a function and its third derivative. The general form of such an equation is given by a<sub>3</sub>(x)y''' + a<sub>2</sub>(x)y'' + a<sub>1</sub>(x)y' + a<sub>0</sub>(x)y = f(x), where a<sub>3</sub>, a<sub>2</sub>, a<sub>1</sub>, a<sub>0</sub> are functions of x and f(x) is a known function. To solve a 3rd order differential equation, various techniques can be used such as separation of variables, variation
eric2921

Homework Statement

d^3x/dt^3 - d^2x/dt^2 = 3e^t - sin(t)

Homework Equations

not sure. maybe sin(t)=.5*i*e^(-i*t)-.5*i*e^(i*t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure we start by finding the complementary solution by setting the right side equal to 0. So we have:

D^3 x - D^2 x = 0
D^2 [D-1] x = 0

then we solve for D and get 0, 0 and 1 for solutions.
this gives us:

xcomp. = [c1+t c2] e^(0t) + c3 e^t
xcomp. = c1 + c2 t + c3 e^t

now its my understanding that i need to find particular solution because:

x = xcomp. + xpart.

So i was told that the solutions to the particular solution are 1, i and -i. I don't understand why that is though but if that's the case then i think:

xpart. = t e^t + A cos(t) + B cos(t)

and

x= c1 + c2 t + c3 e^t + t e^t + A cos(t) + B cos(t)

I'm stuck here, I'm pretty sure it's correct up to this point although i could be wrong. I don't know to find A or B though which i think all i have left to do. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

your template is correct: xpart. = t e^t + A cos(t) + B sin(t). a little thing you forgot is a constant in front of t e^t --> K t e^t

the next step is to "plug in" only the xpart. solution into the original equation and find the constants K, A, B. then you are done.

P.S. this is the form of the full answer: x(t) = C1 + C2 t + C3 e^t + K t e^t + A cos(t) + B sin(t)
** you can find C1, C2, C3 if you have boundary conditions (starting values).

good luck.

Last edited:
Why is xpart = t e^t + A cos(t) + B cos(t) ?

shouldnt it be:
xpart = t e^t + A cos(t) + B sin(t) or am I just missing something?

You can integrate twice directly to reduce this third order down to a first order

eric2921 said:

Homework Statement

d^3x/dt^3 - d^2x/dt^2 = 3e^t - sin(t)

Homework Equations

not sure. maybe sin(t)=.5*i*e^(-i*t)-.5*i*e^(i*t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure we start by finding the complementary solution by setting the right side equal to 0. So we have:

D^3 x - D^2 x = 0
D^2 [D-1] x = 0

then we solve for D and get 0, 0 and 1 for solutions.
this gives us:

xcomp. = [c1+t c2] e^(0t) + c3 e^t
xcomp. = c1 + c2 t + c3 e^t

now its my understanding that i need to find particular solution because:

x = xcomp. + xpart.
Good so far.
So i was told that the solutions to the particular solution are 1, i and -i. I don't understand why that is though but if that's the case then i think:

xpart. = t e^t + A cos(t) + B cos(t)

and

x= c1 + c2 t + c3 e^t + t e^t + A cos(t) + B cos(t)
Almost.

The function sin t can be written in terms of complex exponentials:

[tex]\sin t = \frac{e^{it} - e^{-it}}{2i}[/tex]

so the righthand side can be written as

[tex]e^t - \frac{1}{2i} e^{it} + \frac{1}{2i} e^{-it}[/tex]

You should be able to see that

(D+i)(D-i)(D-1) [3 et - sin t] = 0

Those are the 1, i, and -i roots they're referring to. It follows then that the complete solution x(t) satisfies the homogeneous equation

(D+i)(D-i)(D-1) D2(D-1)x(t) = 0

If you write down the solution to this equation, you'd get

[tex]x(t) = c_1 + c_2 t + c_3 e^t + A t e^t + B e^{it} + C e^{-it}[/tex]

or equivalently

[tex]x(t) = c_1 + c_2 t + c_3 e^t + A t e^t + B \cos t + C \sin t[/tex]

The first three terms are the homogeneous solution you found earlier. The last three terms make up xp(t). In practice, you don't go through this long procedure. You just look at the terms of the forcing function and deduce what terms will arise in the particular solution (taking into account what type of terms already appear in the complementary solution). But it's good to know why this works.
I'm stuck here, I'm pretty sure it's correct up to this point although i could be wrong. I don't know to find A or B though which i think all i have left to do. Thanks for any help!
Now you want to plug [itex]x_p(t) = A t e^t + B \cos t + C \sin t[/itex] into the original differential equation, then match coefficients for the various terms. From the three resulting equations, you can solve for A, B, and C.

Related to Solve this 3rd Order Differential Equation

1. What is a 3rd order differential equation?

A 3rd order differential equation is an equation that involves a function and its third derivative. It is a type of differential equation that can be used to model a wide range of physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What is the general form of a 3rd order differential equation?

The general form of a 3rd order differential equation is:

a3(x)y''' + a2(x)y'' + a1(x)y' + a0(x)y = f(x)

where a3, a2, a1, a0 are functions of x and f(x) is a known function.

3. How do you solve a 3rd order differential equation?

To solve a 3rd order differential equation, you can use a variety of techniques such as separation of variables, variation of parameters, or the method of undetermined coefficients. It is important to first identify the type of equation and then choose an appropriate method to solve it.

4. What are the initial conditions for a 3rd order differential equation?

The initial conditions for a 3rd order differential equation are typically three conditions that specify the value of the function and its first two derivatives at a given point. These conditions are necessary to uniquely determine a solution to the equation.

5. What are the applications of 3rd order differential equations?

3rd order differential equations have many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They can be used to model various physical phenomena such as oscillations, vibrations, and electrical circuits. They are also important in the study of control systems and fluid dynamics.