Solve the Puzzle: Find the Scale Readings for a Mass Distribution

In summary, the question is asking about the masses and distances on a plank and how they affect the scales. The formula that should be used is F*r, which represents torque or turning force. It is suggested to attempt the problem and post progress before seeking further help.
innman
formula Help!

i got this question but i don;t know which formula to use

Q - A 1m plank of Mass 1.0kg is placed on two scales which are at either end of the plank. Masses are hung underneath the plank.

Mass A = 5.0kg at a distance of 0.30m from the left of the plank
Mass B = 5.0kg at a distance of 0.90m from the left of the plank

What do the scales read

Can sumone help me!? pleasez

Physics news on Phys.org
this is a moments of force question...you should really have a go at these questions and post what you've come up with so far then we would know whether the advice we give you is useful or not.

Torque is essentially what you are dealing with, or the turning force. Force is calculated with F*d, or in your case, F*r because you're dealing with torque rather than force exactly.

This is the formula you most likely need to use to solve this problem.

Related to Solve the Puzzle: Find the Scale Readings for a Mass Distribution

1. How do I find the scale readings for a mass distribution?

To find the scale readings for a mass distribution, you will need to use the formula: Scale Reading = Mass x Gravity, where mass is the amount of weight being measured and gravity is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth (9.8 m/s^2). This will give you the scale reading in Newtons (N).

2. What units are used for scale readings in a mass distribution?

Scale readings for a mass distribution are typically measured in Newtons (N) or Kilograms (kg). The unit of measurement will depend on the type of scale being used.

3. Can I use any scale to measure a mass distribution?

Not all scales are suitable for measuring a mass distribution. You will need a scale that can measure in Newtons (N) or Kilograms (kg) and has a high enough capacity to hold the weight of the mass being measured.

4. How do I calibrate my scale for accurate readings?

To calibrate your scale for accurate readings, you will need to follow the manufacturer's instructions. This may involve using calibration weights or following a specific calibration process. It is important to regularly calibrate your scale to ensure accurate measurements.

5. What is the importance of finding the scale readings for a mass distribution?

Finding the scale readings for a mass distribution is important because it allows you to accurately measure and record the weight of an object. This information can be used in various industries such as manufacturing, food production, and scientific research.