Solve the Mystery: Pure Silicon Resistivity at Zero

In summary, the conversation discusses the temperature coefficient of resistivity for pure silicon and how it can be calculated using the formula ρ-ρ0 = ρ0α(T-T0). The conversation also mentions the limitations of using this formula for higher temperatures and how it is not suitable for semiconductors like silicon. The final result obtained using the formula is questioned, leading to a discussion on the accuracy of the equation and its applicability for different materials.
kahwawashay1
I noticed that the temperature coefficient of resistivity of pure silicon is a rather high negative number, so just out of curiosity I wanted to see at what temp the resistivity would drop to zero.

The formula is ρ-ρ0 = ρ0α(T-T0)
where ρ is the final resistivity, ρ0 is the reference resistivity, α is the temperature coefficient of resistivity, T is the final temp and T0 is the reference temp

My book gives the α at a reference temp of 293 K. At this temp, ρ0 is 2.5*10^3 and α is -70*10^-3. Therefore, if we set the final resistivity (ρ) to 0:

-ρ0 = ρ0α(T-T0)
-1/α = T-T0
T = -1/α + T0
= -1/(-70*10^-3) + 293
= 307 K

I have been told that this can't possibly be right, but no one will tell me exactly why.
I have been told that what I'm doing wrong is "assuming that resistivity does not change with temp", even though I obviously am taking that into consideration, since I am using an equation that says approximately how resistivity changes with temp.
I have also been told that the linear approximation equation I am using holds only for a limited range with respect to the reference temp, and I also know that it won't hold for huge temps, but 307 K is not too far from room temp. (and actually, according to my book, this equation holds "over a rather large temperature range")

Could someone please point out exactly what I am doing wrong?
There must be something wrong because I don't think silicon is a conductor at some 35-ish degrees Celsius..

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you have quoted is a version of the variation of resistance/resistivity equation for a material ( metal) with a + ve temp coefficient ( resistance increases with temp)

R = Ro(1+αt) ( t is temp in C)
This equation is only an approximation for reasonably low temps and shows that resistance increases uniformly with temp.
A fuller form of the equation is R = Ro(1+αt+βt^2+...)
one thing for sure... It is not the equation to use for semiconductors ( silicon)

Related to Solve the Mystery: Pure Silicon Resistivity at Zero

1. What is pure silicon resistivity at zero?

Pure silicon resistivity at zero is the measure of how well a pure silicon material resists the flow of electric current at a temperature of absolute zero (0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius).

2. Why is the pure silicon resistivity at zero important?

The pure silicon resistivity at zero is important because it provides valuable information about the fundamental properties of silicon as a semiconductor material. It also helps in understanding and predicting the behavior of silicon-based electronic devices at extremely low temperatures.

3. How is the pure silicon resistivity at zero measured?

The pure silicon resistivity at zero is typically measured using a four-point probe method, where four precisely spaced electrical contacts are placed on the surface of the silicon sample. A known current is passed through the outer contacts, and the voltage drop is measured between the inner contacts, allowing for the calculation of resistivity.

4. What factors affect the pure silicon resistivity at zero?

The pure silicon resistivity at zero can be affected by impurities in the silicon material, crystal defects, and temperature. As the temperature increases, the resistivity of silicon decreases due to increased thermal energy that allows for easier movement of electrons.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding pure silicon resistivity at zero?

Understanding pure silicon resistivity at zero has several practical applications, including in the development of superconductors, quantum computing, and cryogenic electronics. It also plays a crucial role in the design and performance of electronic devices that are used in extreme environments, such as space exploration and high-altitude aviation.