Calculating Resistance(not at RT) using the Resistivity Formula

In summary, the individual is seeking clarification on a formula used for their coursework on "Resistance in a Wire". They used the R=ρL/A formula but encountered a small systematic error due to higher room temperature. They would like to use the formula R=(L/A)ρ0(α(T - T0)+1) to show this error, with ρ0 being the residual resistance, α being the thermal resistance, and T0 being the room temperature. They are also looking for information on these properties for Constantan Alloy and an example of how to use the formula. Some helpful resources have been provided by other users.
Jozers
For my coursework "Resistance in a Wire" I used the R=ρL/A formula to predict what resistance I should get. Yet, as it was a hot day:mad: when i did the experiment the Room Temperature was not ambient but 28°C. Therefore my there was a small systematic error with my results (they were consistantly higher than predicted). I wish to show that this error was due to the temperature and would like to use the formula

R=(L/A)ρ=(L/A)ρ0(α(T - T0)+1)

I'm think that ρ0 is the residual resistance, α is the thermal resistance and T0 is room temperature. Could someone just clarify this? And where could i find out these properties for "Constantan" Alloy? As iv'e been unsuccessful of find these on the internet.

I would also be useful if someone knows of and example (which include the Temp. part) explaining how to use this formula, it should be easy to figure out but any help would be great. :smile:

Thanks
Jozers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Astronuc.

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Resistance(not at RT) using the Resistivity Formula

1. What is the formula for calculating resistance using resistivity?

The formula for calculating resistance using resistivity is R = ρ * L/A, where R is the resistance, ρ is the resistivity, L is the length of the material, and A is the cross-sectional area.

2. How is resistivity different from resistance?

Resistivity is a property of a material that describes how well it resists the flow of electric current, while resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for current to flow through a material.

3. What units are used for resistivity?

The units for resistivity are ohm-meters (Ω⋅m).

4. How does temperature affect resistivity?

Generally, resistivity increases as temperature increases. This is because as the temperature increases, the atoms in the material vibrate more, making it harder for electrons to flow through.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating resistance using resistivity?

The accuracy of calculating resistance using resistivity can be affected by factors such as the purity of the material, temperature changes, and the precision of the measurements for length and cross-sectional area.