Solve the inequality for x, given that (4x - 16) / [(x - 3)(x - 9)] <

• Thread starter agl89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the problem is asking to solve the inequality (4x - 16) / [(x - 3)(x - 9)] < 0 for x. The equation is simplified to 4(x - 4) / [(x - 3)(x - 9)] < 0. To solve this, we need to find the x values that make each individual factor 0. We can then use the behavior of the sign of a rational expression between locations where the expression is zero or undefined to determine the solution.
agl89

Homework Statement

Solve the inequality for x, given that (4x - 16) / [(x - 3)(x - 9)] < 0

Homework Equations

I can't think of any for this type of problem...

The Attempt at a Solution

(4x - 16) / [(x - 3)(x - 9)] < 0
4(x - 4) / [(x - 3)(x - 9)] < 0

I'm not sure where to go from here. I haven't worked one of these types of problems in awhile...

Physics news on Phys.org
agl89 said:

Homework Statement

Solve the inequality for x, given that (4x - 16) / [(x - 3)(x - 9)] < 0

Homework Equations

I can't think of any for this type of problem...

The Attempt at a Solution

(4x - 16) / [(x - 3)(x - 9)] < 0
4(x - 4) / [(x - 3)(x - 9)] < 0

I'm not sure where to go from here. I haven't worked one of these types of problems in awhile...

Multiply both sides of the inequality by something, to get rid of the denominator...

Start by looking for the x values that make each individual factor 0: what do you know about how the sign of a rational expression behaves between locations where the expression is zero or undefined?

Related to Solve the inequality for x, given that (4x - 16) / [(x - 3)(x - 9)] <

1. What is the first step in solving this inequality?

The first step in solving this inequality is to simplify the expression by multiplying both sides by the common denominator (x - 3)(x - 9).

2. What happens to the inequality sign when multiplying by a negative number?

The inequality sign flips when multiplying both sides by a negative number. This is because multiplying by a negative number on both sides of an inequality switches the order of the numbers, making the smaller number larger and the larger number smaller.

3. How do I determine the critical values for this inequality?

The critical values for this inequality are the values of x that make the denominator equal to zero. In this case, the critical values are x = 3 and x = 9. These values must be excluded from the solution set.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve this inequality?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this inequality. However, be sure to double check your solution by plugging it back into the original inequality to ensure it is true.

5. Is there more than one possible solution to this inequality?

Yes, there can be more than one possible solution to this inequality. The solution set will depend on the value of x and the given inequality. It is important to check if any critical values are included or excluded in the solution set.