Solve the following initial value problem (DiracDelta function)

Heaviside}(t-\pi/4)\sin(2t)In summary, the conversation discussed applying the Laplace transform to solve a differential equation and the inverse Laplace transform to find the final answer. The final answer was found to be y(t) = U(t-pi/4)*2sin(t-pi/4), but upon further examination it was corrected to be -Heaviside(t-pi/4)*cos(2t) + Heaviside(t-pi/4)*sin(2t).
IHave

Homework Statement

y'' +4y = 2 delta(t - pi/4)

where y(0)=0 and y'(0)=0

Homework Equations

Laplace transform
Inverse Laplace transform

The Attempt at a Solution

after applying laplace tranform
Y(s)=2e^((-pi/4)*s) / s^(2)+4

as the final answer i have
y(t) = U(t-pi/4)*2sin(t-pi/4)

I'm not very comfortable with these types of problems yet, is my answer correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the forward transform as:
[itex]s^2\tilde{y}(s) +4\tilde{y}(s) =2e^{-s\pi /4}[/itex]
Then isolating i get the same as you. But you got something wrong, the product of two functions can't be inverse transformed generally. The result should be:
[itex] -\text{Heaviside}(t-\pi/4)\cos(2t)[/itex]

Related to Solve the following initial value problem (DiracDelta function)

1. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of differential equation that involves finding a function that satisfies a given set of conditions, typically involving the value of the function and its derivatives at a specific point. The goal is to find a solution that satisfies these conditions for all values of the independent variable.

2. What is the DiracDelta function?

The DiracDelta function, also known as the Dirac delta distribution or the unit impulse function, is a mathematical function that is used to represent a point mass or impulse at a specific point in time or space. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model sudden or instantaneous changes in a system.

3. How is the DiracDelta function used in initial value problems?

The DiracDelta function is often used in initial value problems to model a sudden change or impulse in the system at a specific point. It can be used to represent an initial condition or a forcing term in the differential equation, and can help in finding a solution that satisfies the given initial conditions.

4. What are the challenges in solving initial value problems involving the DiracDelta function?

One of the main challenges in solving initial value problems involving the DiracDelta function is that it is a discontinuous function, which can make it difficult to work with mathematically. Additionally, the DiracDelta function is often used in conjunction with other functions, which can make the problem more complex to solve.

5. Are there any techniques or methods for solving initial value problems with the DiracDelta function?

Yes, there are various techniques and methods that can be used to solve initial value problems involving the DiracDelta function, such as Laplace transforms, Fourier transforms, and Green's functions. These methods can help to simplify the problem and make it more manageable to solve.