Solve the Binomial Theorem Puzzle: Find Missing Member

In summary, we have discussed the translation of binomial coefficients and finding the missing member without x. We also looked at the equation (n up n-3)=(n up 9) and how to solve for n. We found that n must be divisible by 3 and that n=12 satisfies the equation, but there could potentially be other solutions.
Alexstrasuz1
Screenshot by Lightshot
The translation in binom coefficent of 4th and 10th are mathching each other.
Find the member which doesn't have x in it.
I understand all of it but the part where (n up n-3)=(n up 9) I just don't understand how they got 12 here

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Alexstrasuz said:
Screenshot by Lightshot
The translation in binom coefficent of 4th and 10th are mathching each other.
Find the member which doesn't have x in it.
I understand all of it but the part where (n up n-3)=(n up 9) I just don't understand how they got 12 here
I'm not sure what the first question is asking.

For the second we would have to have
\(\displaystyle (x^2)^i \cdot \left ( \frac{1}{x} \right ) ^{n - i} = 1\)

Which leads to 2i = n - i thus i = n/3. So this will only happen for n divisible by 3.

For the third you have
\(\displaystyle {n \choose n - 3} = {n \choose 9}\)

We can simply compare the bottom element on both sides and conclude that n - 3 = 9. On the other hand if we use the definition of the binomial coefficient we get the equation
\(\displaystyle (n - 3) \cdot (n - 4) \cdot (n - 5) \cdot (n - 6) \cdot (n - 7) \cdot (n - 8) = 9 \cdot 8 \cdot 7 \cdot 6 \cdot 5 \cdot 4\)

Again by comparison we can find that n = 12. On the other hand this is a 6th degree polynomial in n and can potentially have at least two real solutions since we know it already has one. I don't know how to analyze this in general, but WA gives another real root as n = -1. The other four (WA missed one) are complex.

-Dan

Related to Solve the Binomial Theorem Puzzle: Find Missing Member

1. What is the Binomial Theorem Puzzle?

The Binomial Theorem Puzzle is a mathematical puzzle that involves finding the missing member in a binomial expansion. It follows the formula (a + b)^n = a^n + nC1a^(n-1)b + nC2a^(n-2)b^2 + ... + nC(n-1)ab^(n-1) + b^n, where a and b are constants, n is the power, and nCk is the binomial coefficient.

2. How do you solve the Binomial Theorem Puzzle?

To solve the Binomial Theorem Puzzle, you need to first identify the values of a, b, and n. Then, use the formula (a + b)^n to expand the binomial. Finally, compare the expanded form to the given expression and solve for the missing member using algebraic manipulation.

3. What are the key concepts behind the Binomial Theorem Puzzle?

The key concepts behind the Binomial Theorem Puzzle are binomial coefficients, binomial expansion, and algebraic manipulation. Binomial coefficients are the numbers that appear in front of the terms in a binomial expansion. Binomial expansion is the process of expanding a binomial expression to its full form. Algebraic manipulation involves using mathematical operations to solve for unknown variables.

4. What is the significance of the Binomial Theorem Puzzle?

The Binomial Theorem Puzzle is significant because it helps to develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills. It also reinforces the understanding of binomial coefficients and binomial expansion, which are important concepts in algebra and mathematics in general.

5. How can the Binomial Theorem Puzzle be used in real-life applications?

The Binomial Theorem Puzzle has various real-life applications, such as in statistics, finance, and probability. It can be used to calculate the probability of a certain outcome in a binomial experiment, determine the expected value of an investment, or analyze data using binomial coefficients. It is also used in engineering and physics to model and solve problems involving binomial equations.