Solve Binominal Form (4x+3)^n | Binomial Coefficients

In summary, when expanding the binomial form (4x+3)^n, we can see that there are two members, x^4 and x^3, whose binomial coefficients are equal. This can be found by equating the coefficients of the x^3 and x^4 terms and solving for n. The first instance of this equality occurs when n=6, and the coefficient is 34560.
Alexstrasuz1
In solved binominal form (4x+3)^n has two members x^4 and x^3 whose binomial coefficients are equal.
I'm kinda good in solving binomial coefficient, but I never stumbled to something like this

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Alexstrasuz said:
In solved binominal form (4x+3)^n has two members x^4 and x^3 whose binomial coefficients are equal.
I'm kinda good in solving binomial coefficient, but I never stumbled to something like this

Hello,

take Pascal's triangle of binomial coefficient and look (for n > 4)
View attachment 3393

for those neighbouring coefficients which are in the relation 3 to 4.

The first hit is for n = 6.

Expanding \(\displaystyle (4x+3)^6\) you'll find that the coefficients in question are 34560.

Attachments

• nauspasc3eck.jpg
    nauspasc3eck.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 62
Alexstrasuz said:
The binomial expansion of
\(\displaystyle (4x + 3)^n = \sum_{i = 0}^n {n \choose i} (4x)^i \cdot 3^{n- i}\)

So the coefficient of the \(\displaystyle x^3\) term (which implies i = 3) is
\(\displaystyle {n \choose 3}4^3 \cdot 3^{n - 3}\)

and the coefficient of the \(\displaystyle x^4\) term (which implies i + 1 = 3 + 1) is
\(\displaystyle {n \choose 4} 4^4 \cdot 3^{n - 4}\)

Equating these:
\(\displaystyle {n \choose 3}4^3 \cdot 3^{n - 3} = {n \choose 4} 4^4 \cdot 3^{n - 4}\)

\(\displaystyle 3 {n \choose 3} = 4 {n \choose 4}\)

\(\displaystyle 3 \cdot \frac{n!}{3! (n - 3)!} = 4 \cdot \frac{n!}{4! (n - 4)!}\)

\(\displaystyle 3 \cdot \frac{1}{n - 3} = 1\)

\(\displaystyle 3 = n - 3\)

\(\displaystyle n = 6\)

And you can now calculate that the coefficient is the same as earboth told you, 34560.

-Dan

Related to Solve Binominal Form (4x+3)^n | Binomial Coefficients

1. What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a mathematical formula used to expand expressions of the form (a + b)^n, where n is a non-negative integer. It involves using binomial coefficients to determine the coefficients of each term in the expansion.

2. How do you solve a binomial form?

To solve a binomial form, you can use the binomial theorem. First, identify the values of a, b, and n in the expression (a + b)^n. Then, use the formula (a + b)^n = ∑(n,k=0) (n choose k) * a^(n-k) * b^k, where (n choose k) represents the binomial coefficient. Simplify the expression by evaluating the binomial coefficients and combining like terms.

3. What are binomial coefficients?

Binomial coefficients are the numerical coefficients of each term in the expansion of a binomial expression. They are calculated using the formula (n choose k) = n! / (k! * (n-k)!), where n is the power of the binomial and k is the index of the term. They represent the number of ways to choose k objects from a set of n objects.

4. How do you calculate binomial coefficients?

Binomial coefficients can be calculated using the formula (n choose k) = n! / (k! * (n-k)!), where n is the power of the binomial and k is the index of the term. Alternatively, you can use Pascal's triangle to determine the binomial coefficients. The (n+1)th row of Pascal's triangle contains the coefficients for the expansion of (a + b)^n.

5. How is the binomial theorem used in real-life applications?

The binomial theorem has many real-life applications in fields such as statistics, probability, and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the probability of a certain number of successful outcomes in a series of trials. In engineering, it can be used to calculate the coefficients of a polynomial function, which allows for accurate predictions and analysis of systems.