Solve Tarzan's Force on Vine: 820N, 20.0m, 22.0°, 760N

In summary, the question is asking for the force on Tarzan from the vine as he swings from a cliff. The given information includes Tarzan's weight, the length and angle of the vine, and the tension in the vine. The solution involves summing up the forces and equating it to mv^2/r.
ubiquinone
Hi, I have a question regarding forces and motion that I'm not sure on how to solve. I was wondering if anyone here could please show me. Thank you.

Question: Tarzan weighs 820N and swings from a cliff at the end of a 20.0m vine that hangs from a high tree limb and initially makes an angle of 22.0 degrees with the vertical. Assume that an x-axis extends horizontally away from the cliff edge and a y-axis extends upward. Immediately after Tarzan steps off the cliff, the tension in the vine is 760N. Just then, what is the force on him from the vine.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try summing up the forces and equate to mv^2/r

ubiquinone said:
Immediately after Tarzan steps off the cliff, the tension in the vine is 760N. Just then, what is the force on him from the vine.
Sounds like a trick question to me. :wink:

Related to Solve Tarzan's Force on Vine: 820N, 20.0m, 22.0°, 760N

What is the problem involving Tarzan's force on the vine?

The problem involves finding the magnitude and direction of Tarzan's force on a vine, given the force of the vine, the distance Tarzan travels, and the angle at which he swings.

What is the formula for solving this problem?

The formula for solving this problem is F = m*a, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

How do you calculate the magnitude of Tarzan's force?

To calculate the magnitude of Tarzan's force, you can use the formula F = m*a, where m is the mass of Tarzan, and a is the acceleration, which can be found using the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity and r is the radius of the circular motion.

How do you calculate the direction of Tarzan's force?

The direction of Tarzan's force can be calculated using the equation tan(theta) = a/g, where theta is the angle at which Tarzan swings, a is the acceleration, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This will give you the tangent of the angle, which can then be used to find the direction of the force.

What are the units for Tarzan's force?

The units for Tarzan's force will depend on the units used for the other variables in the problem. Typically, the force will be measured in Newtons (N) if the mass is given in kilograms (kg) and the acceleration is given in meters per second squared (m/s^2).