Solve Spring & Projectile Homework: Find d

In summary: Other than that, it looks good.In summary, the problem involves a compressed spring launching an ice cube up a ramp at an angle theta to the horizontal. The goal is to find the horizontal distance d from the ramp to the point of contact, neglecting air resistance. The equation for V is incorrect and should be corrected to v = ((ks^2 + 2mgy)/m)^0.5. The equation for t is also incorrect and should be corrected to t = -vy + (v_y^2 - 4(-0.5g)(y))^0.5 / -g. To solve for d, the theta of the ramp can be used to break V into its x and y components, with the
joemama69

Homework Statement

A spring haveing a force constant k is compressed a distance a frots its natural length, then used to launch an ice cub of mass m up a ramp of length l oriented at an angle theta to the horiaontal. The cube starts form rest at ground level, slides without friction up the ramp and sals off the end. Find the horizontal distance d from the ramp to the point of contact. Neglect Air resistance

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

.5ks2 = .5mv2 - mgh

v = ((ks2 + 2mgy)/m)

do i just plug this into x = vxt, or do i have to use some y compnents as well.

Attachments

• 2[1].pdf
    12.4 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am pretty sure I see what you're getting at but I think there might be a few typos in your post so I may be wrong.

You are on the right track so far, but double check your equation for V. I think you might have left out a squared/square root. Also, you seemed to have swapped the h with a y here which is a little confusing as h was previously implied to be the height of the ramp and y would seem to be the height of the object.

You will have to use the theta of the ramp to break the above V into its x and y components. You can use x = vxt, but you will need to use Vy, h and g to determine t. You might find the following equation helpful:

y=-.5gt2+ Vyt + h

y=height of the object
h=height of the ramp
g=+9.81m/s2 (your previous equation implied a positive g so I made g positive here)

Last edited:
yes v = ((ks2 + 2mgy)/m).5

t = -vy + [tex]\sqrt{v_y ^2 - 4(-.5g)(y)}[/tex]/-g

x = vxt = [tex]\sqrt{(5s^2 + 2mgh)/m}[/tex]cosQ[-[tex]\sqrt{(5s^2 + 2mgh)/m}[/tex]sinQ +- [tex]\sqrt{((ks^2 + 2mgh)/m)sin^2 Q + 2gy}[/tex]/-g

Yep, it is a little hard to tell with the formating but it looks like you got it for the most part. It might just be a formating thing but the only thing I'm not following is the minus sign before the last square root symbol.

Related to Solve Spring & Projectile Homework: Find d

What is the formula for finding the distance traveled by a spring or projectile?

The formula for finding the distance traveled by a spring or projectile is d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is the distance traveled, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

How do I determine the value of v0 for a spring or projectile?

The initial velocity, v0, can be determined by taking the initial speed and direction of the object into account. For example, if a projectile is launched horizontally from a height of 10 meters with a speed of 20 m/s, v0 would be 20 m/s horizontally.

What is the value of acceleration for a spring or projectile?

The value of acceleration, a, can vary depending on the situation. In most cases, for a projectile, a is equal to the acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.8 m/s2 on Earth. For a spring, a can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to the spring is proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position.

Can I use this formula to solve for other variables besides distance?

Yes, this formula can be rearranged to solve for other variables such as time, initial velocity, or acceleration. Just make sure to use the correct units for each variable in order to get an accurate answer.

What are some real-life applications of this formula?

This formula can be used to calculate the distance traveled by a projectile fired from a cannon, the distance a spring will stretch when a certain weight is added, or the distance a ball will travel when thrown at a certain angle. It is also commonly used in sports like baseball, golf, and archery to predict the trajectory of a ball or arrow.